MSFS2020 with Simionic G1000 - PIREP (IFR Platform)

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

MSFS2020 with Simionic G1000 - PIREP (IFR Platform)

Post by gyro3816 »

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
I thought I'd share my simulator setup now that Michigan winter has started to take hold.
I hope my research and setup can help others that may be struggling with what to do for home simulation setup.

I had this exact setup for XPLANE11 but MSFS2020 is just another level for realism and everything is perfectly integrated.
This was an excellent IFR trainer for my GFC700/G1000 and my setup perfectly emulates my own airplane (DA40 XLS)
For any one looking for a serious home trainer to stay sharp on IFR skills through the winter - this is it.
I set my display screen so that the SImionic G1000 tucks in just below the backup instruments that show on the Samsung Display. It is true perfection. Support for Simionic has also been amazing - I get regular DB updates for free (automatically download via itunes)

Best Regards,
Adam

PC SETUP: I can run all max MSFS graphics with zero lag
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
64GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB RAM)
SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor Curved QLED
Avionics:
Simionic G1000 Bezel PFD, COM, MFD - Displays driven by dual Ipads (integrated)
S/W G1000 Bridge v3.6 (Desktop wireless coupler for Simionic)
IPAD MINI6 with desktop RAM Mount / Foreflight
S/W Flight Events (Desktop wireless coupler for foreflight)
Controls:
Thrustmaster Joystick
Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Trim Wheel, Rudder Pedals

gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: MSFS2020 with Simionic G1000 - PIREP (IFR Platform)

Post by gyro3816 »

I received some PMs asking some questions so I'll post replies here to help others.

1) The simionic bezels provide push-button realism to provide simulation for an actual G1000 units
2) The bezels have backlit buttons and perfectly simulate the G1000. Using the Simionic, you have complete simulation within the MSFS2020, many more buttons and realism above the basic, incorrect standard MSFS on-screen G1000. All buttons/menus are accurate to real-world
3) Reversionary mode botton although there, does not function (possible s/w update down the road)
4) To get backup instruments, I configured (Tilt/Zoom) the front view with MSFS so that the appear at the lowest part of my samsung 49" curved display. When system is powered up it looks identical to real world since the screen backup instruments appear just above my Simionics when viewed from my chair
5) I bought 2 used $100 used IPADS on Ebay to put in the Simionic bezels, since they are dedicated they work perfectly
6) The only wires to simionics are the power cords, everything else is wireless (As long as they share same wifi as MSFS, they will communicate)
7) I use Accessibility options on the IPAD to enable me to put into sleep mode (My Accessibility icon is lower right). With a double push it puts IPAD asleep. This is needed since you don't have power button access once ipad is installed in bezel). To wake up the ipads, you just click NoseUp/NoseDwn buttons on the bezel. When you adjust instrument lighting on MSFS, it synchronizes with backlite on bezel for intensity.
8) My Thrustmaster Joystck is ideal, its one of few joysticks that can be mechanically configured Left or Right Hand. I use left hand since I sit left seat. Absolutely the best joystick for DA40 imo.

My good friend that helped me during instrument training and is now ATP was over for some beers and I showed him the rig. He thought my setup completely destroyed any other flight school simulator he has seen/flown (red bird crap) - his words is that it is the truest simulation for IFR he has experienced second only to his ATP training at AA. Yes true I can't log time on it - but ask me if I care - That is what my airplane is for.
Attachments
IMG-5743b.jpg
slim7700
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Sam
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: ZKCTL
Airports: NZHN

Post by slim7700 »

Amazing setup mate, i trained on the DA20/42 and looking to have a similar setup for keeping current

Just splurged 1.6K USD, wife unhappy :D

Tell me i won't regret this
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

My research and experience with flight sims has led me to the conclusion that MSFS is visually superior to X-Plane 11, but that XP11 is a better platform for IFR practice due to its more complete simulation of avionics and superior flight dynamics. All sims have limitations, of course, but there seem to be fewer gaps, for instance, in the programming of XP11’s G1000 and GFC700 implementations.

That said, MSFS’s out-the-window eye candy is simply gorgeous. For cruising low and slow on a simulated early morning flight in good weather over interesting terrain, there’s nothing else can touch it.
TAILspin38
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

Post by TAILspin38 »

Hey Adam, WOW! That is one impressive setup. I had to do a double take it was so realistic. I am getting ready to start my instrument training soon and have thought about the X-Plane 11. I am not much of a gamer but my instructor suggested it. Have you considered doing instructional videos? Alot of what I have been able to find are not that good.
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by gyro3816 »

I started with Xplane11 and this setup. It was ok but every plane had different issues due to Xplane interface.
Having used Xplane10, 11 and now MSFS2020, I just don’t buy ppl saying xplane is somehow better for flight dynamics and IFR considerations. MSFS is better in every measurable that I’ve used.
I purchased MSFS2020 when it first came out. I worked with Li Chen (Simionic) on the initial rollout , sharing bugs with him. He was responsive and quick to address the initial bugs on the interface.
The Simionic setup is now perfect - I can fly every approach and weather overlay is far superior. Airport enviro for cloud breakout is very import for me so the realism of MS is important for IFR imo.

Why Simionic ? Mostly because the software runs on iOS which makes it easy. Screen needs replacement, no problem just slide in a used ipad. Brilliantly simple.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by gyro3816 »

I’m more than happy to help anyone out - just ping me.
Anyone that loves Diamond Airplanes is a friend of mine.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
TAILspin38
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

Post by TAILspin38 »

Hi Adam, thanks for all the information. We have a Diamond DA40. I use Garmin on my Android tablet. We have a Dell computer with windows & Microsoft. We are learning how to use Technology. Appreciate your times.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Post by RookieFlyer »

photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:01 am My research and experience with flight sims has led me to the conclusion that MSFS is visually superior to X-Plane 11, but that XP11 is a better platform for IFR practice due to its more complete simulation of avionics and superior flight dynamics. All sims have limitations, of course, but there seem to be fewer gaps, for instance, in the programming of XP11’s G1000 and GFC700 implementations.
From what I'm led to believe, the Simionics suite controls the plane directly and not via X-Plane's or MSFS's inbuilt G1000/GFC700 emulations.
cariasvar
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: VHYTR
Airports: YBWW

Post by cariasvar »

Good morning Diamond enthusiasts!

I just purchased my Simionic G1000 and I can't wait to try it out.

I'll tell you a bit about me. I'm a student pilot who flies DA40 XLS with the incorporated G1000. I have both MSFS2020 and Xplane 11. My question (one of many) is: which DA40 plane do you guys have installed both in MSFS and Xplane? I need the XLS since I have to use the CSU and I need to practice, not just with the throttle but also with the Pitch propeller.

Could I install a DA40 with no G1000 and my Simionic G1000 would read the data from the game? Also in regards to the setup for the DA40 in the Simionic, do you have the data for the customization? I've been introducing the data from the AFM but, still, doesn't look like the proper DA40 in the MFD, especially the left bottom part where the Electrical part is, and the fuel quantity.

Hopefully you guys can guide me through.

Looking forward to hearing from you.