1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Richard
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N755LA
Airports: KIWA

Proper single engine shut down / restart in flight

Post by RichardD_flyNEXA »

Hi - am a CFI/CFII/MEI out of AZ and have been flying the DA42 for my multi students - still transitioning a bit and ran into the AD pertaining to windmilling the eng (not to do it) - and for any start/restarts, one is to use starter after proper shut down....we are now actually replacing timing belt on the engs that did windmill...

But - the real question is will htis be fixed in future? and, i'd love to hear from other MEIs & even factory instructors on the work around to then still enable SEO training....
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Proper single engine shut down / restart in flight

Post by Chris »

RichardD_flyNEXA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:47 pmBut - the real question is will htis be fixed in future? and, i'd love to hear from other MEIs & even factory instructors on the work around to then still enable SEO training....
I haven't heard of any changes in progress to allow windmilling restarts for Austro engines.

My reading of the AD is that you simply can not use windmilling restarts except in an emergency. When I was training in a DA42NG, we would slow the plane down enough to keep the prop from windmilling before re-activaing the engine master, and ensure that the prop was stationary before activating the starter. I don't recall the exact airspeed we used for that, but I believe it was around 90 KIAS.

There are some other threads on here about this. Here's one of CFIDave's posts on the subject.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
MikeMeadows
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N486A
Airports: KTME KDWH KIWS TS07 KSGR

Post by MikeMeadows »

RichardD_flyNEXA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:47 pm Hi - am a CFI/CFII/MEI out of AZ and have been flying the DA42 for my multi students - still transitioning a bit and ran into the AD pertaining to windmilling the eng (not to do it) - and for any start/restarts, one is to use starter after proper shut down....we are now actually replacing timing belt on the engs that did windmill...

But - the real question is will htis be fixed in future? and, i'd love to hear from other MEIs & even factory instructors on the work around to then still enable SEO training....
Guidance I was given, and that which I give:
Restart airspeed of 80 - 85 KIAS with the propeller in the static position at the moment the starter is engaged. The propeller may rotate slightly at 85 KIAS but will pause to allow starter engagement. If for some reason the propeller is not pausing, the airspeed can be further reduced to 80 KIAS where it should stop rotating completely. Use 85 KIAS since it is the blue line speed and below 90 KIAS were the propeller pause may be minimal. A starter engagement should never be attempted if above 90 KIAS with the ideal speed of 80-85 KIAS.

**Do not engage the starter when the propeller is wind milling.

1. POWER lever of affected engine ........................IDLE
2. FUEL SELECTOR of affected engine...................check ON
3. Alternate air ...........................................................as required
4. ALTERNATOR of affected engine .......................On
5. ENGINE MASTER of affected engine..........On, propeller un-feathers
6. STARTER of affected engine................... engage when propeller is stationary

Mike Meadows
Houston, TX
ATP Single & Multi, CFI CFII MEI
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

If you have enough height, as you should in training, pull the operating engine back to 12-15%, so you don't have to deal with yaw and the risk of losing directional control. Let the airplane descend gently while maintaining 80 knots.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

mfdutra wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:11 pm If you have enough height, as you should in training, pull the operating engine back to 12-15%, so you don't have to deal with yaw and the risk of losing directional control. Let the airplane descend gently while maintaining 80 knots.
That’s really slow and uncomfortable for clean configuration and single engine operation. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with 80 knots.
RichardD_flyNEXA
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Richard
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N755LA
Airports: KIWA

Post by RichardD_flyNEXA »

Great feedback on this post - def aware of this and incorporated into our training, steps to avoid unnecessary windmilling - i am ever more curious as to the longer term "fix" as it were - any ideas on hte root issue (am a bit in weeds here) - but if the issue of windmilling, specifically, causes "stress" on timing chain - how does it do that and why doesn't electric start cause same issue? - is there an eng design improvemetn in future to alleviate this issue given the prop can, actually, windmill start BUT it affects teh timing chain and should only be used in emergencies and NOT for training or unnecessary reasons...i'd love to hear from design engineers at Diamond on plans to fix this systemically...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

RichardD_flyNEXA wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm but if the issue of windmilling, specifically, causes "stress" on timing chain - how does it do that and why doesn't electric start cause same issue?
I'm also puzzled with this but since I don't fly the aircraft with Austro Engine I didn't invest much effort in researching the topic. However, CD-135/155 (Thielert) is very similar engine, yet it doesn't suffer from this issue.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

ememic99 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 pm That’s really slow and uncomfortable for clean configuration and single engine operation. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with 80 knots.
On the DA62, that's the required speed for a restart in flight.

If you have the good engine at 12% and the other engine feathered, you aren't really "single engine". You're just a glider.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

mfdutra wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:23 pm
ememic99 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 pm That’s really slow and uncomfortable for clean configuration and single engine operation. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with 80 knots.
On the DA62, that's the required speed for a restart in flight.

If you have the good engine at 12% and the other engine feathered, you aren't really "single engine". You're just a glider.
My glider days were 30 years ago :)
nickname
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Noah
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N112NG
Airports: KPDX

Post by nickname »

From personal experience I have seen restart speeds cited of 90-100 KIAS, but I have seen windmilling just above, ie 93-95 KIAS. I now try to target 90 or slightly over and don't have any issues.