4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: MSB-E4-042 - Crankshaft-bearing cap screws replacement

Post by mfdutra »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:32 pm But if you are correct, that they cannot have reliable quality control because they are a "boutique" producer, then is there any path to a reliable Austro engine?
The path will be hard way, in small increments. Those ADs are brutal, but the reality is that our engines will be slightly more reliable after them.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 am Austro/Wanfeng has turned a great engine into an unreliable source of recurring ADs. I don't know if it's incompetence or cost cutting, but the last three ADs, all of which resulted in catastrophic engine failure if not addressed, are since Austro/Wanfeng took over building the engine core. How is it the Mercedes version of this engine didn't have all these problems?
Many of the engines in the piston AD are Mercedes engines built over ten years ago.

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 am If my DSC had not notified me, I'd still be flying my plane around, apparently about to have a catastrophic engine failure (or two). I was called by one owner with a low time 62 who only learned of the MSB via DAN. His plane had never been serviced at a DSC. Nobody notified him of anything. He called me to verify what was happening and I had to tell him "don't fly your plane".
All owners and operators should sign up for Diamond's email notification service:
http://support.diamond-air.at/2617+M52087573ab0.html

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 am Diamond's total lack of interest in the customer experience would be shocking if it was not SOP at Diamond and what they have trained us to expect.
For what it's worth, over on the Cirrus forum there are many similar complaints about Cirrus, the small aircraft company known for being highly customer-centric. Before the sale, yes. After the sale, not so much.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Soareyes wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:19 pm For what it's worth, over on the Cirrus forum there are many similar complaints about Cirrus, the small aircraft company known for being highly customer-centric. Before the sale, yes. After the sale, not so much.
Absolutely. Cirrus post-sales support has been pathetic. Many airplanes AOG for long periods of time waiting for parts. They can't manage to support the 10-year limited parachutes, for example, despite always knowing exactly how many would be needed.
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

Post by pete423 »

Diamond's email notification services did not send out any email regarding this particular MSB. I double checked my junk mail folder. I have received previous MSB notification in the past. As a matter of fact, I could not find the MSB under the DA40NG service bulletins section on diamond's website. However, it is under the service information section. Here is a updated MSB/Service Information that has a little more detail information and instructions than the previous one posted.

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... 0037R1.pdf
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

The initial service bulletin was dated Jan. 31, 2024. My first of three emails so far from the Diamond notification service was on Feb. 1st, the next day.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

What I find most annoying is the lack of transparency.

We become aware of a catastrophic failure or other major problem, and then we wait. Maybe it was maintenance induced, like the intake manifold's on the 40NG, or badly wired ECU backups on the 62. Or, maybe it's a critical engine problem like the HPP drive gear or main bearing bolts. We wait, wondering, flying on and hoping for the best until the MSB shows up, or it doesn't.

Cirrus can lay it off on Continental. Diamond/Austro/Wanfeng is in a unique position. They know, but they never share. They could alleviate the uncertainly with a little bit of transparency, which costs them nothing. As we all know, and read here, when there is no information, we make up information (aka speculation) to fill the void. That doesn't benefit anyone.

When there is a statement, it's vaguely worded to obscure the facts. This MSB refers to some "occurrences". WTF is an "occurrence"? We're in the plane, not in the ground in some office in Austria. We're pretty certain this is tied to a DA42 with an engine failure in Italy that resulted in both engines being replaced.

In the absence of facts, there will always be speculation. Facts are healthier for everyone than speculation because the facts will eventually come out.

One of my favorite sayings is that "bad news ages poorly". The first thing anyone asks when you give them bad news is "when did you find out"? The longer in the past, the worse you look. Diamond/Austro/Wanfeng does not look good.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Obviously EASA and Transport Canada (and FAA) are quite easy on them and that doesn’t contribute to transparent approach.
MartinW
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Martin
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: OYMWL
Airports: EKRK

Post by MartinW »

Mine is a DA40NG picked up new from factory in august 2023 - by me. It lives in Roskilde, Denmark. I got notified via phone by my CAMO that I was AOG as soon as the MSB came out. I was AOG until 23. of february. Flew the plane today. Lovely. My CAMO is also a Diamond Service Center and it is in the same airport as me and my love. They have the extra set of keys. Mine was the 3rd one they did. They use the crane-method. They take around 15 hours to do it, which DAI accepts. Now I have new oil after 40 hours, and I made them send my old oil for analysis.

I WANT TO ATTACH PICTURES BUT THE BUTTON DOES NOT WORK. ALL IT DOES IS THIS:

Might anyone know what - I - might be doing wrong... I use Chrome.

Also, I was surprised to to learn that they torque (english is actually french) the bolts to 55 NM. Plus 90 degrees. I dont think I ever torqued anything to that on my DIY projects. It almost hurts to think about it.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

MartinW wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:15 am

The pictures (and other files) are added via Attachments rather than via “img” button.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:19 am
MartinW wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:15 am

The pictures (and other files) are added via Attachments rather than via “img” button.
At least from my Mac, drag & drop works great.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5