1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N620EZ
Airports:

DA62 Tie down rope length

Post by johnscim1 »

I saw a lot of debate on prior posts regarding the best method to tie down a 62 overnight when on the road (my takeaway is a strong load rated polyester rope with no hooks or ratchets or other weak points is best), but I can't find anywhere the lengths needed for the 62? I'm buying supplies in advance of delivery and wonder if anyone has for reference the length of tie down ropes needed for the model? TIA, John
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: DA62 Tie down rope length

Post by Boatguy »

The length of the tie own is entirely a function of the location of the tie down points at each apron. Assume the tie down is located at the MLG and it should always be long enough.

But for the tail tie down, it's usually the opposite problem and you must be sure that your attachments and shortening mechanism can accommodate a very short length.

It may be counter intuitive, but the goal of a dock or anchor line for a boat is to absorb the energy and I think an airplane tie down is the same. A line that does not stretch transfers all the shock load to the wing. With that in mind, you want a nylon rope which will dynamically stretch and absorb the energy, then return to the original length.

https://www.westmarine.com/new-england- ... 2_500.html

I made my own out of nylon yacht braid, carabiners and a Blake's Hitch (slide and grip knot). I use a very short climbing "sling (aka runner)" to loop through the tail tie down point on the 62 and clip a carabiner to the sling. Additionally, I carry a couple more slings to use when the tie down point in the apron will not accommodate the carabiner. I loop the sling through the tie down point and clip the carabiner into the sling. The slings are made of dyneema (aka Spectra) which is very chafe resistant and extremely strong (i.e., no stretch); basically just an extension of the steel tie down point.

https://www.rei.com/product/474003/blue ... T%20COLORS
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Recently I stumbled across an ad for this device. Have any owners ever tried this tie down product?

https://tieboss.com/collections/all-pro ... ss-15-rope
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Post by Zebedee »

I have Tieboss 3/8' tie downs. I like them a lot. I spoke to Rick at Tieboss and he gave me the following.

1. Break strength each tieboss is 900 pounds. So if tie down in 3 places, total 2700 pounds
2. Weak point is the hook that bends at 900 pounds
3. Knot on hook must be tied according to instructions for maximum strength
4. Sell online, plus through PilotMall and Sporty's. Sell tons at Oshkosh every year.
5. If you need more/longer rope, you can order made in USA ropes from Tieboss. More expensive than Chinese Polypropylene solid braided rope at Walmart. You decide.

Only downsides to me.

1. Colors will probably not match your plane and stands out on ramp.
2. Someone looking for 5 figured discount may relieve you of them, leaving your plane subject to wx without you knowing.

I think it is a superior product, just worried about downside #2.

Hope this helps

Jim
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Been very happy with my slidedown tie down. Has never slipped.
They will make them to any length.
https://slidedown.com/