CFI, MEI, 135 etc... just want to talk this out

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

JCOiii
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JC
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: KTRI

Re: CFI, MEI, 135 etc... just want to talk this out

Post by JCOiii »

arksat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm
JCOiii wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:08 pm so perusing ads for DA40s, often times, WAAS is not listed either way. Is there a way to tell besides asking? Is there an avionics package that everyone knows includes WAAS?
See avionics details on GIA63. "W" means WAAS.
GIA63 (no WAAS)
GIA63W (with WAAS)

Nonetheless, better to ask because the seller might have forgotten to mention "W".
Copy that. Thanks!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

JCOiii wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:39 pm I guess another way to "fly for free" is something like diamondshare. does anyone actually have that work for them? either the actual diamondshare or a similar setup?
I had dry leased my DA40NG to another pilot for about 18 months. It worked quite well. Ultimately that pilot decided to buy a Cirrus and I decided I didn't want to compromise my schedule by sharing with someone else.

There are others here who are currently using both DiamondShare and their own dry lease programs who may offer their experience.

Note that you'll need to structure and document your dry lease program properly to avoid being classified by the FAA or an insurance company, as a rental operation, rather than a dry lease. A rental operation comes with a lot more regulation and expense. It's something that would only come up if there was an accident. But it did, you could find your insurance doesn't apply and you are personally liable for any injuries, death, damage to the plane, etc.
JCOiii
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by JCOiii »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:56 pm Buy a DA40 (Lycoming 2007-2008 or newer with WAAS and GFC700 autopilot):
- will let you avoid the maintenance issues associated with Austro engines of DA40NG
- you can fly it to get your CFI and CFI-I ratings, since you'd like to instruct
- is an ideal plane to offer flight instruction, since you can conduct PPL, IR, and Commercial instruction in it; not like a twin really limited to multi-engine rating instruction.
- find 1-2 other pilots to dry lease hours on the plane to defray costs
- is arguably the most fun Diamond to fly, and advanced enough for personal trips.

Stay away from Part 135 operation.
Thanks, Dave.

In theory, I could also diamondshare/dry lease a 42 and teach multi only I suppose. I just think the 42 is the sexiest twin out there.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

michael.g.miller wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:57 am - Insane salaries.. cannot believe the latest pay packages from American / United / Delta. Gives Software Engineering a serious run for its money.. not something many professions can say!
The folks making good money on the majors are on the top of their career. It would take anyone new many years to get there.

If you compare apples to apples, a principal engineer at the top levels of the major companies makes a LOT more money than any pilot anywhere.

https://www.levels.fyi/
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

WAAS (i.e., GIA63W) was introduced starting with the first 2008 DA40 XLS models built in late 2007, so any 2008+ DA40 will include WAAS as a standard feature.

But many 2007 DA40 XL owners have installed GIA63Ws to make them similar to XLS models. And there are a few 2004-2006 DA40s that have also been upgraded via GIA63W installation.

But IMHO, the bigger issue is to find a plane with the GFC700 autopilot, since it's realistically impossible to replace the earlier KAP140 autopilot with a GFC700. While the KAP140 is usable, anyone who has flown with both autopilots will quickly appreciate the vastly superior performance of the GFC700. The GFC700 autopilot is included with 2007 DA40 XL and newer aircraft.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
JCOiii
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by JCOiii »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:04 pm WAAS (i.e., GIA63W) was introduced starting with the first 2008 DA40 XLS models built in late 2007, so any 2008+ DA40 will include WAAS as a standard feature.

But many 2007 DA40 XL owners have installed GIA63Ws to make them similar to XLS models. And there are a few 2004-2006 DA40s that have also been upgraded via GIA63W installation.

But IMHO, the bigger issue is to find a plane with the GFC700 autopilot, since it's realistically impossible to replace the earlier KAP140 autopilot with a GFC700. While the KAP140 is usable, anyone who has flown with both autopilots will quickly appreciate the vastly superior performance of the GFC700. The GFC700 autopilot is included with 2007 DA40 XL and newer aircraft.
i'm just excited to start flying with ANY autopilot. Going to start high performance and TAA soon. But thanks, that's good info to be on the lookout for. (pardon my grammar)
JCOiii
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by JCOiii »

After seeing one on Controller and Lifestyle Aviation, I got curious.

How about these F engines? the carbureted ones that function like what I learned on in a 172? Seems like that would be an easier starter engine for training PPLs?

was just chatting about it with my CFI today as we tooled around in the pattern in the Arrow. Like, you're starting out your PPL. Does it matter if you just start in a fixed speed prop versus a normal?
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I agree with CFIDave that the KAP140 is inferior to the GFC700, but it’s usable. I’ve flown with both. I also agree with Charles that the pre-G1000 planes are great planes, including for IFR/IMC flight, so if you want something more economical to eliminate
or lessen the complexities of leasebacks or co-ownership it would be ok to consider one, but they can be hard to find. The KAP140 will perform climbs and descents with altitude preselect. It tracks a course like any autopilot. It will track holds and approaches if you have a HSI with GPSS, or otherwise you can just follow the magenta line with the heading bug (easy).It will fly an ILS all by itself down
to minimums and a LVP approach all by itself to minimums if the navigator has WAAS. The GFC700 has input from the altitude indicator and it’s digital so it tracks better. To get WAAS in the earlier planes look for a GNS 530W or 430W, or an upgrade like a GTN or Avidyne. The one place that the KAP140, and all rate-based navigators shine, is that they are fully functional when the attitude indicator fails. We train to fly partial panel in IMC, but when it happens having an autopilot would be really nice. Hope this helps.