3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Re: DA42 vs BeechA36 or Cirrus for long distance

Post by tjmoody »

Nikandsteve wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:31 pm Can anyone really take 4 people in the Diamond? Doesn’t pencil out.
I've done several trips with 4 adults in a DA42. You have to fuel plan of course but not bad for a 2-3hr leg. Depending on total pax weight I can do it with full mains and empty aux tanks.
Steve D
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: ZS-SDW
Airports: FALA

Re: DA42 vs BeechA36 or Cirrus for long distance

Post by Steve D »

Late to the conversation. I used to own a BE36TC. I have owned my DA42 now since 2008. The noise and lack of range in the BE36 were factors for upgrading to a 42. I did have the premium interior installed which includes reclining seats, visors, O2 etc. I am 6ft tall and have no problems with height but I can see how taller guys might struggle.

My available useful load is 460kg at a MAUW of 1785kgs. This allows me to fill all seats with adults, have full mains tanks and still have 20kgs for luggage. If all the seats are full, I cannot carry any aux fuel but the mains still give me over 700nm with reserves @ 70% power.

I have the Continental CD135 engines and I agree they are slightly louder than the Austros. Bose ANR headphones largely reduce the noise levels to a background hum, something my old ANRs never achieved in the BE36.
Steve Dewsbery
CPL IR NR
Johannesburg, South Africa