smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

updating Nav database before expiration

Post by smoss »

While the nav data cycle usually comes out a week before the start date, is it bad practice to update it in the plane early? When doing so, the G1000 does not 'hold' the data until the start date and then use it (like Foreflight does), it simply overwrites the old database, then shows the database expiration on the info page in red until the actual start date comes. Is using a 'future' database acceptable?
Steve
DA40 XL
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: updating Nav database before expiration

Post by Chris »

You shouldn't overwrite the active database until the start date. In our G1000, there's a standby database which you can update ahead of time and the G1000 will switch over to it automatically on the start date. Older G1000s may not have the standby database... I don't recall having it on our XL. It might be a matter of which firmware version you have.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Just know that the G1000 will prompt you every time you power up whether you want to overwrite the active database with the standby database. Default is no.
Typically I go ahead and load the new database into the active if I’m only flying VFR. But I will wait to load it into the active if I am loading in advance and I know I’m going to be flying IFR.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Slightly different (prior database not retained in any way) for the GNS units. I update the spare cards and keep them in my flight bag until it's the right time. It's not uncommon for me to put them in a day ahead of time if I know I won't be flying before time.

The GNS units have an interesting quirk. If you put them in before they are active, the display will show then as expired (note the past tense) 4-ish weeks in the future.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Rich wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:56 pm Slightly different (prior database not retained in any way) for the GNS units. I update the spare cards and keep them in my flight bag until it's the right time. It's not uncommon for me to put them in a day ahead of time if I know I won't be flying before time.

The GNS units have an interesting quirk. If you put them in before they are active, the display will show then as expired (note the past tense) 4-ish weeks in the future.
I think mine shows them as expired as well.
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Anecdotally (since I am likely the only DA40 owner on the forum who has a B/K KLN94 GPS), I can load the new update at any time before the old database expires (from the KLN94 Pilot's Guide): "The new update may be installed any time prior to the effective date and the KLN 94 will use the previous data up to the effective date and automatically begin using the new data on the effective date."

I have done this occasionally - the KLN94 has enough internal memory to hold both datasets - one small feature that the old technology has over the new...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

IIRC, for at least certain of the King units one had to pull the unit and stick it into a docking station to update the databases. Plus they were really late to WAAS.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The KLN 94 can be updated in one of three ways: New database card from BK, Write new data on the old card using a PC, or directly transfer data from the PC to the GPS. Since I fly VFR only, and update only about once a year, I've always used the first method. I don't have WAAS, one reason I bought the Garmin GDL 82 for ADSB out - it has its own WAAS GPS built in. Eventually, I may have to upgrade my Avionics, but for now, I'm happy that everything is still functioning well...

... there - I did it - jinxed myself!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

On the Lycoming DA40 with Legacy G1000, software versions prior to 2012 (with GDU 12) supported only a single set of databases, and if you updated these databases prematurely (i.e., before their effective date), you'd end up displaying improper "future" databases that weren't yet approved for flight.

Starting in 2012, G1000 software started supporting "standby" vs. "active" databases, so you could go ahead and load new database files into "standby" before their effective date, while still displaying the older current databases as "active." (Works similarly to Foreflight database updates.)

It sounds like you need an update to software v0321.23 so you have the latest (i.e., sadly from 2012) features.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

anything else of note change from 0321.22 going to .23?
Steve
DA40 XL