3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N687ML
Airports: KEFD

Re: Into my first annual with my 62….impressions

Post by bdbogle »

Hope the delivery of my Q3'24 DA62 (slated to be manufactured in Austria) doesn't have these issues. Giving me a bit of queasy feeling in my stomach.
Kesk
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dustin
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N405FP
Airports: KPUB

Post by Kesk »

I think the frustration is justified. Especially if they were notified ahead of schedule, they should have that part on hand. All the moreso because probably the worst part of Diamond is their logistical supply chain. At some point these parts should just be kept on shelf, even if at large cost to the service center. If the numbers I see on here for there work are true they can afford it...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Kesk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:32 am At some point these parts should just be kept on shelf, even if at large cost to the service center. If the numbers I see on here for there work are true they can afford it...
It's very hard to understand that if a company that produces any type of vehicle and strategically targets particular marked and develops service network, doesn't have spare parts stock easily accessible to this network. In DAI case it looks that each and every spare part is shipped individually from Austria (or Canada) passing long shipping and customs procedures. Being based 30 min flight from DAI factory in Austria I never faced such situation but I understand it's a source of great frustration to overseas owners.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Kesk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:32 am I think the frustration is justified. Especially if they were notified ahead of schedule, they should have that part on hand. All the moreso because probably the worst part of Diamond is their logistical supply chain. At some point these parts should just be kept on shelf, even if at large cost to the service center. If the numbers I see on here for there work are true they can afford it...
Why should the DSCs, who charge far less than car maintenance shops, have to be the ones to fix Diamonds supply chain? Tire distributors get pretty much any tire, anywhere, in less than 24hrs.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Man, that’s frustrating.

I’m taking my DA62 to FTW for its annual and 300 hr service on 1/29. My squawk list is short and the 300 hour kits are in hand. I’ll let you know how long the service takes; we do have to wait for the SB oil analyses to return results, which adds a week or so.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:04 pm
Kesk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:32 am I think the frustration is justified. Especially if they were notified ahead of schedule, they should have that part on hand. All the moreso because probably the worst part of Diamond is their logistical supply chain. At some point these parts should just be kept on shelf, even if at large cost to the service center. If the numbers I see on here for there work are true they can afford it...
Why should the DSCs, who charge far less than car maintenance shops, have to be the ones to fix Diamonds supply chain? Tire distributors get pretty much any tire, anywhere, in less than 24hrs.
You're absolutely right - it's DAI's responsibility to establish US spare parts warehouse with low time delivery to service centres. Simply because US market is used to such practice - if you want to address particular market, the best is to follow usual practices and market expectations.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

For the record, while the fuel probe issue was identified by me (and observed by the DSC) when I went in to get the oil change), they didn't have the chance at that time to test it - just observe the reading on the G1000NXi - and we decided to defer it a few months until the annual. But the issue was identified well in advance of the annual. And the aux tanks work fine as do the pumps. It's just the fuel tank gauge/probe. I have no problem flying it that way and neither did the DSC when I showed it to them. Along with the passenger door sensor always alarming when weight goes off the wheels, plus the recent R ENG COOLANT sensor problem. I recognize that all these are teething issues for a new plane and will be addressed under warranty.

With respect to the radar situation, we scheduled the annual months in advance and Diamond previously committed to install the GWX75. So the DSC and Diamond knew when I was coming in and they had already agreed to the installation. There was NO REASON to wait to order/ship those parts until after the DSC inspected the plane at the annual. But that's what they did ... as it turns out, the radar is not the pacing item but Diamond just did receive those parts (in Ft. Lauderdale, mind you) a week ago ... so there are still some glitches in how DAI and the DSCs communicate about and anticipate customer needs.

I still love the plane, I'm just suffering through major withdrawal and I've had to decline numerous Angel Flight trip requests as a result. That's what's most aggravating. Plus I'm going on a two-week cruise next month - hopefully, I will get the plane back before I leave on 2/7 and can get some time/regain a little proficiency before I disappear again for awhile ... that of course is on me, not Diamond, but I never dreamed that could even become an issue when I dropped the plane off in early December!

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone not buy a Diamond or avoid Premier as a DSC - I love the plane and like the Premier people. I think the holidays and the specific process they used on my plane resulted in an unnecessary delay. I had similar issues/timing arise with my Cirrus several years ago, and with our M600 the last couple years from both Pratt & Whitney and from Piper (we have since sold the turbine). I also understand that in airplane-land, this kind of thing happens even with good vendors and shops. But it still sucks when it does!!! *laughing*

Cheers
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Postscript: While I'm very interested and really looking forward to trying the new radar and comparing it to the GWX 70 we had in the turbine (especially after the GWX8000 upgrade down the line), I'm actually most excited about the new landing lights! It will be such a pleasure to actually see where the hell I am going on the ground at night! :)

I should also note that I fly strictly for personal enjoyment and not business, so while this delay is aggravating, it's just about delaying personal flying. If I used this airplane for my business needs, I would be much less sanguine about the whole thing ...

Cheers!