2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

New DA42-VI Config // Built in Oxygen or concentrator

Post by sedatedokc »

I am soon going to place an order for a DA42-VI for delivery next spring. I have asked about this on Euro GA but just hoping to get some final thoughts! Airplane will be based in Norway, trips for 2 people going around Scandinavia / Europe!

My primary question is about oxygen. I have zero experience flying above 10000ft. Most people seem to want/recommend the built in Oxygen plus the after market regulator to make it last longer. But what about skipping that and just having a pair of Inogen Aviator Oxygen concentrators? Less cost, weight, and inspections. Okay, none of those factors are a big deal here. What I am. mostly thinking about is that I will be happier to use the concentrator more frequently, since I don't need to worry about running out. And also, I don't see myself being happy with the dry noses Ive heard about from using built in O2. I see myself drinking tons of water and then having to land every hour to have a pee break. Then downside to the concentrators only being space taken up by the oxygen concentrator, but this being used as a plane for two people, Im guessing they would fit nicely in a backpack behind one of the seats and so no problem? Thoughts? If this is not optimal, I suppose I try vaseline in the nose to keep it from drying out.

Besides that, any advice on a new order is appreciated! I will of course be asking my sales rep, but any specific ideas on for example if a faster satellite will very soon be available, or for example about the new garmin radar (?). Maybe worth specifying I want the newer radar if it won't significantly delay delivery? Some things I will want to confirm for example are the Canopy is a Tall version (but not bubble) and the seats are climate controlled (?) And so forth. Thanks!

DME - Yes
ADF - No
Stormscope - No
Avidyne TAS 605 A - Yes
Flight data Recorder - No
Digital Standby module - No
GWX 70 Radar - Yes
GSR 56 Satellite datalink - Yes
Synthetic Vision - Yes
GTX 345R ADB-B in-Out - Yes

Air con - No
TKS - Yes
Oxygen - Unsure here, see below
Electrically operated pedals - Yes
Tablet Mount - Yes
Removeable stick - No
Amsafe seatbelts - No
Bubble canopy - No
Interior sélection - Divine
Exterior Paint - Divine
Canopy & engine covers - Yes
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Re: New DA42-VI Config // Built in Oxygen or concentrator

Post by AndrewM »

Chris,

Congrat's on the pending order for the new bird... very exciting for you!

I have been using the Inogen system for the little while now and really like it. Recently I have been using my DA40 for some business trips which I have ever done in the past. What I find is that even cruising at say 6-8,000 ft, I put it on. I feel just a little more refreshed and certainly at the end of the day after completing a trip, I just feel better and more energized. I do not think I would use it this much if I had bottle oxygen that takes time, a little hassle etc to re-fill. Just re-charging the Inogen is so convenient.

I think the key issue you need to consider, which I am sure you are already thinking about, is re-sale value. Future owners of FIKI DA42 I would think would likely want built in O2. So depending on your budget, perhaps an option is to order the plane with O2, use the Inogen anyway, and then you have built in O2 for re-sale value and also as a back-up.

Just as opinion, I would definitely select the Amsafe seatbelts.

Good luck, and pls do post some pics when you get the new plane!
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Congratulations on your decision, and welcome to the elite club of DA42 pilots named Chris.

If I were ordering new, I might skip the built-in O2. However, with a -VI, the extra weight of the O2 bottle won't matter as much as it does on my NG, especially since you're skipping the AC option. I have the built-in O2 (installed by prior owner) and it works great, but I was equally happy with the portable Mountain High bottle we used in the DA40. Having the option of using an O2 concentrator makes the big bottle even less critical. Andrew is right that it might affect resale value some. I don't know what altitudes you'll normally be flying at in Europe or if using a concentrator is a even viable alternative under the regulations there.

Your selections look about perfect to me, although I would select the AC for summer flying here. I would also skip the Amsafe seatbelts. Definitely get the newer radar if you can, though.
Some things I will want to confirm for example are the Canopy is a Tall version (but not bubble) and the seats are climate controlled (?)
As far as I know, all new DA42s have the "tall" canopies, so you should be fine there. The seats can recline, but are not heated (if that's what you mean by climate controlled).

I'm sure you're going to love flying it!
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I am the only pilot that flies my DA42. If I were purchasing it new I would not get electrically operated rudder pedals. My passenger has them pushed ALL The way forward so they are out of the way and mine are adjusted easily the one time I get in after annual and are never touched for the year of flying.

There seems to be no reason to have the added weight, complexity, and something which can possibly break down.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Consider adding the FS510 for tablet (i.e. ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot) flight plan transfer convenience.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

AndrewM wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:54 pm I have been using the Inogen system for the little while now and really like it. Recently I have been using my DA40 for some business trips which I have ever done in the past. What I find is that even cruising at say 6-8,000 ft, I put it on. I feel just a little more refreshed and certainly at the end of the day after completing a trip, I just feel better and more energized. I do not think I would use it this much if I had bottle oxygen that takes time, a little hassle etc to re-fill. Just re-charging the Inogen is so convenient.
Have you looked into ships power for the Inogen? I'm looking at a setup for my DA42NG, and often do very long legs (e.x. crossing the US), and would hate to have to deal with the hassle of re-charging batteries. Curious if the electric system can provide enough power.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

If you decide not to get the AC, perhaps buy a set of Jet Shades - otherwise you’ll be sitting in a greenhouse.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Lots of good and occasionally conflicting advice so far. My two cents:

Oxygen: My DA42 without air conditioning is nose heavy if there two people up front. Glad I didn’t get built in O2 in the nose. On a 2.5 hr leg this morning using an Inogen 5 set on level 2 the battery level dropped by 20%. That is with what they call the double battery. You can buy extra batteries. Potential Drawback: You need one for each person or if sharing be limited to 14,000 ft.

Amsafe seatbelts: I’ve had these uncomfortable things on two airplanes. There are things to inspect every annual and life-limited parts that have be changed on a schedule. A few annuals ago that added 2 AMUs and an extra two weeks in annual. I left them off my new plane.

Jet shades: I have a pair just for the back windows. They make a big difference and they look good. I didn’t get them for the front. That would work even better but I didn’t like the looks. Priorities, haha.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Soareyes wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:39 pm Oxygen: My DA42 without air conditioning is nose heavy if there two people up front.
All DA42 NG (or -VI) are nose heavy due to heavy engines. O2 bottle doesn't influence that much. I don't think it's installed in front anymore if you have radar.

Built-in O2 and electric pedals are two things that make sense in $1 million aircraft regardless you'll use them or not. If nothing else, they'll make the aircraft more attractive once you decide to sell it.
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

sedatedokc wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:27 am
My primary question is about oxygen.

Besides that, any advice on a new order is appreciated!
Congrats on the new 42!

I am in Melbourne, Australia and don't need the AC apart from about 6 days a year for about 15 mins on the ground. I previously had AC in a Cirrus and it was nowhere near as efficient as it is in the car. Sort of like an old asthmatic blowing on you... (and it is the same price as a small car...)
Radar is brilliant. Get the update if you can.
Syn Vis yes.
Being able to go over weather at 18000 with the built in O2 is so reassuring. I don't find it drying at all. (However you are advised against using any kind of petroleum products (Vaseline) due to ?theoretical fire risk.)
I would go for the removable stick, as I have found my passengers (son or wife) like to be able to move/cross their legs and they were a bit cautious on moving due to a fear they would kick something.
Would not go for the amsafe seatbelts: really uncomfortable and expense (had them in the Cirrus)

Cheers

David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI