michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Tall boy canopy - which way to go?

Post by michael.g.miller »

I just closed on my DA42NG this morning. The plane is absolutely amazing, engines are flawless, and my 1/2" Oregon Aero cushion makes the seats comfortable.

There is one problem.. at 6'2" my head is pretty darn close to the canopy. I'm contemplating upgrading to the Tall Boy canopy. My understanding is that there are two options:

1. Get an entirely new canopy, and mold the composite to fit the airframe. Maybe resell the old canopy?
2. Get new canopy glass, and re-bond to the existing canopy

From talking with the factory, it seemed like #2 was the more preferred option, but I'm curious to get DAN's take. Does my existing canopy (from 2006 I believe) have any value? Is the composite / bonding work significantly different between the two options?

Thanks!
Mike
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Tall boy canopy - which way to go?

Post by Boatguy »

I'm 6' 1/2" and didn't even realize I had the "tall" canopy until I had to order a replacement window. You definitely want the "tall" which I think is now the factory standard.

I don't know the best way to get there, but I would personally focus on reliability, not cost. You don't want to even think about that canopy not being secure.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

Could you please elaborate on these two options? Are they official options from diamond? How do they look?

I thought the only options were the "standard" and the "double bubble" (which gives maybe 2 extra cm). I am also 6'2, but the double dubble look isnt for me...
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Take a look at the canopy part number that you may find on the pilot side near the canopy latch to see what model you already have. My 2019 DA40NG came with the "tall boy" canopy. See what you already have.

canopy.jpg
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

There are 3 canopy options:
1. Prior to 2008, DA40s and DA42s had the standard canopy with the top roughly flush with the top of the fuselage behind it.
2. Starting in 2008 (XLS models on the DA40), Diamond went to a 1" taller "tall boy" canopy as standard to provide more headroom. You have to look very carefully at the side profile to even notice that it sticks up above the fuselage.
3. There's also a "double bubble" canopy that was developed primarily for the MPP models where flight crew wear helmets and need even more headroom. IMHO it looks kinda ugly and lacks a sunshade, but a few have been installed on other DA40/DA42 aircraft where pilots needed maximal headroom.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

The tall boy canopy is essentially the same as the SB to install the bubble canopy glass on the existing frame (the latter being much more economical.

Side note: in my experience it seems like the tall canopy with the sun visors offers about the same amount of headroom as the standard canopy without.

The MPP canopy is definitely not as attractive but offers a lot more headroom (designed with military helmets in mind). They do sell them with removable sun shade things but they suck (we replaced the sticky pads that continually fall off with suction cups). In retrospect I would just have the inside top of the glass painted white for permanent shade much like the standard canopy has.