1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Linda
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DC
Airports: KUNV/KCOI

DA 42/62 Training

Post by Linda »

Looking for suggestions for multi-engine training and rating. My husband and I have an SR22T and previously had 2 DA40s. Since we're seriously considering a DA62, we thought to get our ratings first and to see if we really like the plane. Central Florida is best for us, but we'll consider South Carolina and Pennsylvania.

Thank you in advance,
Linda
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: DA 42/62 Training

Post by Tim H »

Midwest Corporate Air - Bellefontaine, OH. Great group of folks and top notch training. I got my multi-engine rating in their DA42. They have since added two more to their fleet.

Tim
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I just earned my multi (this past Tuesday) at CRAFT flight training in Charleston (KCHS). In a G1000 DA42-VI. Highly recommended and positive experience. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss offline... Started on a Saturday (arrived on Friday in my turboprop) with literally zero multi time, and got my rating the following Tuesday. It’s an accelerated program but they have a good approach. Plus Charleston is a great spot to spend a few days, KCHS is a fun airport to fly out of with great controllers and there are lots of good airports in the vicinity for landing and approach practice. We had pretty crappy weather on Sunday and Monday (chilly, IMC, rain and a little ice, plus some strong winds) but I was very impressed with how the 42 handled the crosswinds and the conditions. Really a great handling machine.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Just so you know, having owned both, the DA42-IV and DA62 are configured nearly identically and fly nearly identically (same wing, different wingtips). You should feel confident jumping right into the DA62 after getting a multi rating in the DA42-VI. The only hitch is getting the minimum hours of dual required by your insurance company in the DA62 before operating on your own.

An excellent approach I've participated in has been to coordinate with the folks that sell you the airplane to have their instructor deliver the aircraft, present a systems ground school, and give your personal instructor some time in type (with you in the back seat) so he/she can provide you all of the multi instruction from scratch in your own aircraft. I know LifeStyle Aviation routinely does this for new purchases, and I see no reason why other Diamond Sales Partners wouldn't consider doing the same.
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

You might contact cfidave he owns a DA 62 and is located in Va. he has owned a DA 42.Great instructor, I did my DA 42 training with him . He came to NJ for the training.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ultraturtle wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm You should feel confident jumping right into the DA62 after getting a multi rating in the DA42-VI.
The only difference I noticed was roomier cockpit :D
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

ememic99 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:48 am
ultraturtle wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm You should feel confident jumping right into the DA62 after getting a multi rating in the DA42-VI.
The only difference I noticed was roomier cockpit :D
And you're forced to start each engine with a pushbutton rather than turning a key. :lol:
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Linda
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Linda
Aircraft Registration: N239DC
Airports: KUNV/KCOI

Post by Linda »

Thank you all for information for flight schools. We've been in contact with them and we'll make a decision on which one this week.

Thank you also, CFI Dave for taking the time to answer our questions.
442AD
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Douglas
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N442AD
Airports: KMGJ

Post by 442AD »

Not close but Take Flight in New York's Hudson Valley KMGJ is a Diamond only flight school. I got my Commercial/Multi in a DA42NG. They have two DA42NG's on the line. It's a hike but you can bang it out there is a few days and a beautiful setting.