5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Air conditioning for DA42-NG

Post by Chris »

What options, if any, are there currently for installing A/C in a DA42-NG? I've gotten mixed messages from reading these forums and press releases. I've been looking at possibly purchasing a used DA42-NG and the seller tells me that he's not sure it's possible to install A/C.

I contacted Premier and they've pointed me in the direction of Glenn Lawler at SouthTec Aviation, so I've got an inquiry into there. If anybody has had this done specifically on an NG, I'd love to see some PIREPs.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Air conditioning for DA42-NG

Post by CFIDave »

Chris:

It's virtually impossible to retrofit the factory air conditioning in a DA42 that didn't come equipped that way from the factory. But the factory system doesn't work that well.

In contrast, I've flown a DA42 TDI with aftermarket Cabin Cool system that worked really well on a very hot and humid summer day in Houston. What I found interesting about it was that rather than installing a 3rd alternator (like factory systems) to drive the air conditioning system, it tapped into the existing pair of alternators -- drawing about 55 amps from them! It includes a belly scoop that may cost you a few knots in cruise.

Unless there's a limit on the STC that only permits installation on TDI DA42s (with Continental/Thielert engines), the Cabin Cool system ought to work with an Austro NG model. Glenn Lawler would know...
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Thanks, Paul. I did see those links before but since the photos seemed to be of TDI and L360(!) models, I wasn't sure if it applied to the -NG. I'll try getting in touch with them, though.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO