5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Failure of electric rudder pedal adjustment

Post by Rich »

Tom-B wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:26 pm I have the manual pedals on my DA40. Recently, when retracting the pilot's pedals to engage the gust lock the lock release cable snapped as I got the pedals to the fully retracted position. Thankfully, I was at my home field and had finished flying for the day. But what was also nice was that with a little awkward reaching I found I could manually release the lock and push the pedals back.

Regardless, I now always engage the gust lock on the co-pilot's pedals and leave the pilots pedals positioned just as I like them. Using the co-pilot's pedals for the gust lock I will never have to worry whether a similar cable malfunction will crimp my flying position.
Years ago I took the control lock, cut it in half and inserted an appropriate-sized wooden dowel to make it work with the pedals in the full forward position. This means I almost never move the pedals.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

My co-pilot side pedals quit about 18 months ago. It was a fuse hidden up underneath the canopy. I agree, very poor design decision.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Rich wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:14 pmYears ago I took the control lock, cut it in half and inserted an appropriate-sized wooden dowel to make it work with the pedals in the full forward position. This means I almost never move the pedals.
I did the same thing many years ago, except I still use mine on the pilot-side pedals. But it is sized for where I leave them, so I have never moved my rudder pedals since buying the plane. There are several threads here in the forum about the gust lock modification - I think I may have even posted some pictures long ago...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Newer planes (e.g. 2019 DA40NG) no longer have the gust-lock-on-the-pilot-side capability. See DA40NG TR-MÄM 40-1020 from 13-Sep-2018.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've seen multiple DA40s used as flight school rental aircraft that have had the pilot's side cable snap -- because pilots pull UP too much on the handle when trying to pull the rudder pedals back, and bend/break the cable. The electric pedals are much better for planes flown by multiple pilots.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Since making that custom control lock:
- Pilot-side is always full forward, as that is where I like it. But I do move it during annual just to check for wear inside the S-tubes.
- Copilot side is set at an intermediate position for my wife and rarely moves. But I also check for wear in the cables plus pull them all the way back when checking for brake fluid levels or bleeding the brakes. When pulled back it's a lot easier to get at the brake fluid reservoirs.

One additional hint: Occasionally get in the right side and check for proper feel of those pedals. If the brakes need bleeding it shows up there first.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:43 pm Since making that custom control lock:
- Pilot-side is always full forward, as that is where I like it. But I do move it during annual just to check for wear inside the S-tubes.
- Copilot side is set at an intermediate position for my wife and rarely moves. But I also check for wear in the cables plus pull them all the way back when checking for brake fluid levels or bleeding the brakes. When pulled back it's a lot easier to get at the brake fluid reservoirs.

One additional hint: Occasionally get in the right side and check for proper feel of those pedals. If the brakes need bleeding it shows up there first.
Rich, that is exactly my routine also, except that both sets of pedals are all the way forward (my son is 6'4"). I'll second your advice to check the copilot's brakes occasionally as well.

Steve
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Fortunately it seems the pedals were just jammed. While holding the button to move the pedals back I added some force in both directions and eventually they started moving. It's nice when there's a simple fix. Now if my engine troubles would just go away...

Always been a fan of the extended gust lock and I'm more convinced than ever at this point that it's a worthy mod.
delaPlanet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hogarth
Aircraft Registration: N20HJ
Airports: kHWD

Post by delaPlanet »

Can someone give a good description of where the fuse is for the rudder pedal adjust motor? Mine just failed and the CB did not trip :/

Thanks!

Hoagy
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

delaPlanet wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:00 pm Can someone give a good description of where the fuse is for the rudder pedal adjust motor? Mine just failed and the CB did not trip :/
It's somewhere up under the glare shield on this side. I'm not sure exactly where. But that's what I was told by the shop. It is a "pico" fuse. You might find a specific identifier in the maintenance manual or IPC.

My co-pilot side quit working after some service, the fuse was replaced and no problems after that. Of course it begs the question of why the fuse blew in the first place.
Attachments
2019-08-15 112450.JPG