4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Re: AE330 180hp DA42 STC

Post by neema »

Totally understand where you're coming from Dave. The "wasp" waist of the 42 are a dramatic taper for anything that's carrying some speed.

I think the real hurdle that materializes for this STC is what foiled many guys that tried to upgrade other G1000 planes: Garmin and manufacturers will prove to be a total roadblock on revizing limitations on the PFD/MFD.

Tornado Alley gets around this with an segregated display for TIT. That's their best effort attempt on their turbonormalizing kits for G1000 Bonanzas. Same with tip tank manufacturers, nothing integral on the displays.

Some guys tried to provide engine STCs for Cessna 182s to increase power to 260hp from 235, and their bump in the road was lack of cooperation from Garmin/Cessna to change the EIS to reflect a higher redline from 2400 to 2700 rpm.

I still have my feelers out, but it seems like the dilemma that exists for non-WAAS upgrade path G1000 owners applies in similar ways: lack of support.

Perhaps the STC to pursue is one that pulls the G1000 out of the plane and thus removes it from the grasp of the manufacturer. Then put in equipment of choice.