1 Diamond Member
First Name: Shuzo
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: JA999U
Airports: RJFK

Re: Asking your opinion about my judgment

Post by ikedasz »

Thank you, Mr. Ultraturtle.
Your response is my comfort. Yes, we have safety reporting system.
But It is late and I doubt this will protect me.
The decision was already made a couple of days ago by the company.
The authority criticize me as the incompetent flight instructor but I may be a good one if I didn’t tell the truth
I will read FAA materials.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

In most countries taking off knowing you are outside any limit imposed by the Flight Manual is essentially illegal. This could have repercussions on the company or the aircraft insurance. As an instructor it is not a good idea to ignore limitations in the presence of a student, he/she may decide that they are all optional. A quick phone call would have resolved the issue.

That said a slapped wrist would probably have been my response for a first time error.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Some years ago when I was looking to buy a DA40 one of the agents I was working with was trying to talk me into buying a plane with aircon, the upgraded seats, second alternator and so on. I am sure it was a great plane, but did not fit my mission as I would have been overweight / outside of the W&B envelope on almost every flight with my wife and son in the plane. I explained this to the person, even asked them to check my W&B calculations, and that individual said that in all his years of flying DA40's (which is a lot) he had no issues flying outside the W&B profile as there was so much tolerance built in, and they stated they did this regularly. Well, I did not trust another thing this individual told me, and did not buy the plane. And I will never fly outside of W&B. My view is this person (if still doing this) is setting a bad example for others, which could potentially lead to an accident.

Do mishaps occur, yes. But my view is that if the OP "knew" there was a fuel imbalance, then most certainly that was an issue, and even more so in the presence of student(s). This was a "teachable moment" when the students could have been told there was an issue... "safety first", make calls, get approvals or refuel the plane to get the balance back (ie: fill both sides full so even if there was an instrument error you know the instruments are incorrect and can solve that later)... or do not fly till the issue is solved.

When I was getting my private certification, I got to know another student at the same school with a different instructor. That instructor had a somewhat "relaxed" attitude, and his student also had a relaxed attitude mixed with a little too much ego. A few days after he got his certificate (after failing the first checkride), he took 3 of his buddies out to the airport for a flight in a C172. Full fuel, 4 decent sized guys. For sure the plane was overloaded. I was pre-flighting another C172 at the same time, and chatting with the chief pilot at the school and said, "hey, that seems like a big load for a C172, do you think xxxx has done his W&B for today's flight?" Anyhow he walked over and asked, and he had not, so he made him go inside and do the W&B. No surprise, it was outside the envelope, and he was suspended from taking the plane out that day. Would it have been an accident... don't know, but it sure could have been.

So perhaps I am too rigid with these things, but I think if the book says something, and you know it, yet you disregard, and you are a CFI... that is an issue of judgement and perhaps that is why the OP has been suspended from duties.
ikedasz
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Shuzo
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: JA999U
Airports: RJFK

Post by ikedasz »

Thank you, Karl and Andrew for your sincere advice and sharing your experience.
I was a very mucho CFI on that day.
Would I do the same mistake when the same situation come?
No, I will never do it. It is because I know I got better answers from you or how to deal with it and not because I am punished.
What about my students? They will tell others you are going to get trouble by OP, if you do against the rule. That’s not right.
Once in a while we encounter difficult situation away from home airport and are tempted to depart to go home quick.
Every pilot may be trapped and tend to make mistake.
Important thing is to give and take good critique like in here in this forum.
I still think Punishment is not the answer for safety.
Important thing is give good critique
eloicalopes
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Elói
Aircraft Type: DA42MPP
Aircraft Registration: MBRAB
Airports: Fvrg

Post by eloicalopes »

Good evening to all
I currently work for a company that flies the DA-42 NG IV. I read the AFM over and over again and I couldn't find anywhere the maximum allowable imbalance for the main tanks. Could someone give me a hint of any value?

Thanks in advance.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Deleted
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

eloicalopes wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm Good evening to all
I currently work for a company that flies the DA-42 NG IV. I read the AFM over and over again and I couldn't find anywhere the maximum allowable imbalance for the main tanks. Could someone give me a hint of any value?
My copy of the DA42-VI AFM in section 2.14 says the imbalance limit is 5 USG.