3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Pending EASA AD Fuel Tank Connection Hoses

Post by Wilfried »

Dear friends of the wonderful DA42. Looks like another expensive AD for European registered planes coming up after the fuel injector AD.

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/EASA_PAD ... D_19-135_1

Material is not an issue, but wings have to be dismounted.
Did anybody of you hear or experienced problems with the hoses (reportedly rubber parts in the fuel tanks)? Secondly, does anybody know, if Cirrus has a similair rate of (expensive) AD’s?
42.N020
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Pending EASA AD Fuel Tank Connection Hoses

Post by TimS »

Wilfried wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:29 pm Dear friends of the wonderful DA42. Looks like another expensive AD for European registered planes coming up after the fuel injector AD.

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/EASA_PAD ... D_19-135_1

Material is not an issue, but wings have to be dismounted.
Did anybody of you hear or experienced problems with the hoses (reportedly rubber parts in the fuel tanks)? Secondly, does anybody know, if Cirrus has a similair rate of (expensive) AD’s?
My SR22, a 2003 model has 8 ADs total based on the Cirrus website: https://cirrusaircraft.com/service-support/
Last one was in 2009. The most expensive AD per discussions with an owner of a similar year was the Avidyne AD which effectively cost about $6K to replace the PFD. All the ADs were less than $1K, most around $500 (e.g. line collar replacement).

I spot checked higher serial numbers, and after 2009 there is only 1 AD and it is a one time inspection of FIKI system lines. No cost analysis I can see on it.

Tim
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Does anybody have an idea how many aircrafts are affected? AFAIK when FAA issues AD they usually supply estimate of cost and total cost for the fleet.
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Post by Wilfried »

Hi Emir, EASA does not supply these figures, but probably somebody in the forum has an estimate.

From an owner perspective I estimate a 5 digit figure. Will ask my shop for a quote. I am sure the AD will come in September.
Really annoying, since NG (and NG conversion) owners had to swallow the AD concerning the replacement of fuel injectors by the end of last year that was in the range of 12K €.

The reason why I was asking for Cirrus AD‘s is that I heard about some owners that for reasons of erratic AD‘s sold their Diamonds and became Cirrus owners.
42.N020
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

Wilfried wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 am From an owner perspective I estimate a 5 digit figure. Will ask my shop for a quote.
Why do you expect so high price? And how do you know that your aircraft is affected (SB specifies P/N and I wouldn't expect all aircrafts are affected)? Please share info on quotation when you get it.

I'll have 12-years service in September (which includes removing the wings) so this will be checked as well with no extra cost (except material if needed).

Which shop do you use?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

Wilfried wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 am The reason why I was asking for Cirrus AD‘s is that I heard about some owners that for reasons of erratic AD‘s sold their Diamonds and became Cirrus owners.
We are all aware of differences between Cirrus and Diamond post-sales support and we're trying to change this.
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

There are service bulletins for all DA40 and DA42 variants on the Diamond web site.
It is very interesting, that the credit guidelines are different for DA40 and DA42:
DA40: Credit: Parts and labour effort for all aircraft effected.
DA42: Credit: Parts and labour effort for all aircraft effected within warranty period!
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak