4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Video - Taming the Twin: Four Rules for Safe Multiengine Flying

Post by TwinStarScott »

With flying season upon us here in the Northern Hemisphere, here's a quick refresher from the Air Safety Institute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSlugqOJZ4

It has been out for awhile now and admittedly just skims the surface, but nonetheless thought is was worth sharing for those who may have missed it earlier.

Also, this video touches on one subject that wasn't specifically covered when I underwent ME training, which is partial power loss in one engine. For instance, having a turbocharger failure and the inability to tell from the cockpit if the failure is on the hot or cold side of the unit - something that is not even mentioned in the POH, but perhaps is an item worth considering as an addition to your customized emergency checklist. Personally I would "lean" towards shutting the engine down due to the risk of an engine fire. Although I'm sure many others have greater insights than I on such an event.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Video - Taming the Twin: Four Rules for Safe Multiengine Flying

Post by TwinStarScott »

Just another example of why this forum makes for such a great research tool:

From 2014:
Robin wrote:
5) How would you manage a Wastegate failure for the turbocharger? The ECU would manage this, you may need to reduce Power and closely watch the Temps & pressure to avoid an overboost.

CFIDave:
My guess is that this would depend on whether the wategate stuck in the full open, full closed, or somewhere in-between position. You'd likely see an "ECU Fail" message because various sensors would be out-of-range for normal operation, and then adjust the throttle depending on whether you were getting too much or too little power from the engine. If you didn't like the resulting engine power production, then you might consider shutting it down and flying on one engine.
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Re: Video - Taming the Twin: Four Rules for Safe Multiengine Flying

Post by wolfvoador »

Hello. Has that issue 2 years ago, posted on viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6154&p=66479&hilit=wastegate#p66290