4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

History of DA42 Legacy G1000 GDU Software Versions

Post by TwinStarScott »

This posting is for documentation and reference purposes.

History of DA42 Legacy G1000 GDU Software Versions [per Garmin's OEM manager to DAI]:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2WuK ... lkdEpFNnNj
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Re: History of DA42 Legacy G1000 GDU Software Versions

Post by Keith M »

That's an interesting list of enhancements which are not available for my DA40 TDI. As they made more DA40s than DA42s, I wonder where the pressure came from for Diamond to keep updating the DA42 while abandoning the DA40 at release 370.14. From an external perspective, the extra work to port the code from the DA42 can't have been much more onerous than deleting any references to the 2nd engine, so it's very frustrating that they didn't do it.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

It's a good question Keith about the how and why the software features for each airframe were decided upon by DAI. However, one advantage the DA40's have is data logging (GDU version 9.15 and higher), whereas the DA42's do not.

One of my DA40 friend's regularly sends his engine data off to Mike Busch's company for analysis and then he receives back all these fancy charts and graphs. Which is pretty cool is you ask me, plus being able to track other flight parameters.
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Scott, I should have been more explicit about which version of the DA40 I was referring to. The TDI engined versions haven't been updated since 2006, so don't have data logging, or any of the enhancements listed since then for the DA42 TDIs. Diamond did release an update for DA40 TDIs produced in China, but that was only made available as a third party STC in Europe when upgrading the G1000 to support WAAS, using the now unavailable GIA63Ws. Anyway, with the diesel engines being controlled by FADEC, I'm not sure of the value of data logging.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Good information Keith! One small point:
with John Weber having left Continental, there might be some value to having data logging for the North American TDI fleet, given the large time difference between here and Germany. Plus John would even return calls on the weekends, if the situation was urgent.