5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Oil and tools mixed with nose compartment o2

Post by Colin »

My sealed tupperware boxes (oddly) do not seem to pop open. I suspect that it is not a *completely* airtight seal. Maybe. Or maybe the boxes don't flex much. I can't see them. It's dark in there.

But there's a ziplock inside that box, and I squeeze the air out of it. That's where the Gatt jar is. (I think I need a new Gatt jar. I am not sure, but I think this one has a leak. At least, there's always fuel dripping a little from the bottom, but since I am squatting under the plane, filling it from the sump drain, it feels possible every time that I have gotten some fuel on the outside of the jar.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Honestly, that's good to hear (your tupperware doing okay). I'd much rather keep stuff in there as we have for the last few years. It was my instructor/mentor pilot of all people who gave us the idea of tools/oil/fuel sumper in the nose compartment--they did it on their school da42s
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Almost all my ideas for the DA42 are from the ferry pilot or the chief pilot at Angel City/Bay City. There are a lot of hours in the type between those two pilots. I actually took photos of the stuff the ferry pilot had with him when he dropped off the plane. I wish I had videotaped him doing the pre-flight inspection because it was like a little ballet and all linked together. (Maybe CFI Dave could shoot one for me. Do you see Dick Filbey now and then, Dave?) My own inspection feels like Chuck Berry lost in a dark room. Duck walking around bumping into things, unsure if I've covered a particular item. (I'm not mechanical, so I don't *really* feel qualified to judge the appearance of a squat switch, to tell the truth.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote:I wish I had videotaped him doing the pre-flight inspection because it was like a little ballet and all linked together. (Maybe CFI Dave could shoot one for me. Do you see Dick Filbey now and then, Dave?)
Dick and I both still work (with LifeStyle) to provide ferry and transition training, so I'll let him know of your request. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Daneshgari
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N705JP
Airports: KFNT

Post by Daneshgari »

Guys. When I got my DA42 last December all the stuff including oil and cleaning bottles were in the nose. It came like that from the factory. I don’t have oxygen bottle in the nose either. But everything is in plastic bags.

Perry
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Daneshgari wrote:Guys. When I got my DA42 last December all the stuff including oil and cleaning bottles were in the nose. It came like that from the factory. I don’t have oxygen bottle in the nose either. But everything is in plastic bags.

Perry
You have nothing to worry about if no o2 bottle in the nose.

This is our solution for the time being: Harbor Freight sealed case (Pelican knockoff) with the fuel tester, place for dirty gloves/paper towels, and the funnel. A 5 qt jug in the back of the cabin.