3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

AE300 E4 TBO

Post by Wilfried »

The engines of my 42NG are running against TBO next year. The bird is EASA registered. I wonder

. how much I can extend 1800h TBO?
. if it is an advantage to do the overhaul together with the 2000h maintenance?
42.N020
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Re: AE300 E4 TBO

Post by neema »

I don't have a good answer but we're a few years behind you. Was hoping the targeted a 2100 (or more) hour TBO comes to fruition sooner rather than later.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

Sorry, I cannot answer this one either, but have you guys seen yesterdays AE300 MSB? This one: f http://austroengine.at/uploads/pdf/MSBE4025.pdf

If I read this correctly this one effectively introduces a life-time limit of 900h on the fuel injectors. YMMV, but if true, getting another 300h may not be economical.
klang
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: karl
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: DGGWU
Airports: LSZC

Post by klang »

Wilfried
I do not know if TBO has been made a mandatory event in the AMM. Generally, operating EASA NCC, my take is, you can, if you want to, run your engines beyond 1‘800 TBO.
For this operation TBO is not mandatory. You need, however, implement alternative measures (e.g oil analysis with trend) to monitor the health conditions of these engines. As long as your MRO signs off on the ARC you are good to go.
It is for everyone individually to decide whether or not to exercise this option.
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wilfried »

My CAMO asked Austro in LOAN if TBO can be extended. Answer was negative, saying that This is not possible. „The current TBO of 1.800h need to be adhered to strictly“. Extending the TBO requires „a couple of inspections and official documentation“. Looks like they want to set the hurdle intentionally very high. But „they are working intensively on increasing the service quality“.
42.N020
klang
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: karl
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: DGGWU
Airports: LSZC

Post by klang »

Wilfried
the relevant reference and answer to an extension of the prescribed TBO is in the AMM.
If 1`800 is stipulated a hard limit (which the OEM can set) then there is no way around it. If it is just described as TBO, then it is more of a recommendation for NCC operators. If your aircraft was used for flight training, or other commercial purpose, then the TBO is hard time limit.
Just operating non-commercial (even if you fly for your own business travel) and IFR, does not qualify as commercial operation.
The "couple of inspections and documentation" can be satisfied with oil analysis and inspections during scheduled maintenance. If the results are satisfactory to certifying staff in your MRO and the ARC is signed of, there should be no problem meeting regulatory requirements.
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wilfried »

Hi Karl,
mmmh.. Interesting reply! My plane was never used commercially.
Just had a look at the AMM. Could not find the riht section. Could you pinpoint me to it?
Would be ready to challenge CAMO/Austro...
42.N020