1 Diamond Member
First Name: Humint
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N000ER
Airports: KLAX

ECU failure message and some questions on DA42NG

Post by WOW2 »

Hello everyone,

Few days ago, I had L ECU B FAIL message after run up and tried to clear the message by switching VOTER to ECU B for 5sec and back to AUTO and did not work out really good. Just out of curiosity, I pulled out the L ECUB B circuit breaker and put it back in, and the message clears out. What does maintenance personnel usually look for when such things happen?

Assuming that the same thing happens during flight, we put on alternate air, fuel pump on and cross feed... etc can I close alternate air and fuel pump off if they do not clear the message or leave them on?

I had L ECU A and B failure message at that time when I was on long XC and it happened as I was pushing power lever above 80% load. I brought the power lever back and the messages disappeared. Nothing was wrong with engine functionality.

what are your opinions on aforementioned cases?

Lastly, is it possible for LOW coolant situation lead to high engine oil temperature assuming that the oil cooler is working normal?

Thank you,
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: ECU failure message and some questions on DA42NG

Post by CFIDave »

Most ECU fail messages are caused by one of the engine sensors putting out a value outside its normal range. The ECU then assumes a fixed default value for that sensor so the engine will continue to operate.

Either the sensor has gone bad or the electrical connection to the sensor should be checked. To identify the suspect sensor, you need to have the engine diagnosed by a tech with Austro Engine Wizard software and hardware cable.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

WOW2 wrote:Lastly, is it possible for LOW coolant situation lead to high engine oil temperature assuming that the oil cooler is working normal?
It can but it has to be really low. I had a loss of coolant due to failed clamp on coolant hose which resulted in increased oil/engine temperature to the level that I had to shut it down after 15-20 minutes after I noticed losing the coolant.
WOW2
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Humint
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N000ER
Airports: KLAX

Post by WOW2 »

CFIDave wrote:Most ECU fail messages are caused by one of the engine sensors putting out a value outside its normal range. The ECU then assumes a fixed default value for that sensor so the engine will continue to operate.

Either the sensor has gone bad or the electrical connection to the sensor should be checked. To identify the suspect sensor, you need to have the engine diagnosed by a tech with Austro Engine Wizard software and hardware cable.
So, today I flew the DA42NG with my student, and had L R ECU B failure followed by R fuel pump warning and the warning extinguished very soon. Ran the checklist and turned on the fuel pump, alternate air followed by engine clearing procedure (ECU B for 5sec and back auto). Then the message cleared. So now, am I ok to turn off fuel pump and put back alternate air lever ?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you're able to clear the ECU Fail messages, that may mean that a sensor reading was out-of-range only intermittently/temporarily.

You can fly the plane again with the fuel pump switch OFF (after takeoff) and alternate air back to normal, but be prepared for the ECU Fail message to show up again. If it does come back, I would suggest that a tech with Austro Engine Wizard software take a look at the engine to diagnose the problem.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

Just a side issue: "Alternate Air back to normal": that is easier said than done in the DA42NG! The lever cannot just be pushed back into its original position. Have to end the flight, let engine cool down, open cowling and with the help of another person pull the actuation wire in the engine while pushing the lever back in.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

wolfvoador wrote:Just a side issue: "Alternate Air back to normal": that is easier said than done in the DA42NG! The lever cannot just be pushed back into its original position. Have to end the flight, let engine cool down, open cowling and with the help of another person pull the actuation wire in the engine while pushing the lever back in.
Sounds like you need to raise a defect and get it fixed.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Karl wrote:
wolfvoador wrote:Just a side issue: "Alternate Air back to normal": that is easier said than done in the DA42NG! The lever cannot just be pushed back into its original position. Have to end the flight, let engine cool down, open cowling and with the help of another person pull the actuation wire in the engine while pushing the lever back in.
Sounds like you need to raise a defect and get it fixed.
I don't know if the Alternate Air is set up like the DA40-180 but I had this problem recently. What happened is that there are spacer washers needed for the mounting bracket/screws for the alternate air door. THESE ARE NOT SHOWN IN THE AMM OR IPC. Without them the rotating piece would bind up and since to close the alternate air you're pushing on a cable it won't go. The good news is plain old standard AN washers work fine, you just have to fiddle with it. The device should move smoothly both ways. Forcing the cable to try to close it just kinks the cable and will eventually break it.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5