5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Upgrading DA42 with CD-155 engines

Post by ememic99 »

My data after 20 flight hours show consistant speed gain at same FF around 4 kts and the only reason I find is scimitar props.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

CFIDave wrote:
BTW, I went back and found where Diamond claimed the new "scimitar" blade propeller of the DA42-VI contributed 3 knots speed increase over the NG, so I imagine it has the same effect on the CD-155 upgrade with similar props.
This Scimitar prop is a real winner across the board.
It did its magic on the DA40-180, the 42 and even my Extra 400 gained a few knots from the switch. Maybe Erik can report about his Mooney Rocket?
As you say Dave a 170 HP-equipped DA42 would have great climb and would obviously perform better on one engine. If I were to spend money on an STC for this, I would go all the way and do the -VI aerodynamics fixes and GFC700 upgrade.
Such a plane appeal to owner operators and bargain hunters as it would outperform the -VI at a lower price point. It would be the Ferrari of DA42s.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

My thought on putting money into my DA42 is that they are so rare that further making one unique will make the price point more difficult to calculate. So mine has brakes and wheels that no other DA42 has (that I know of), the fancy sort that is *now* on the DA62 (but apparently wasn't for the first few built). And it has a removable right control stick. I think scimitar props would be a good addition on this list.

So far neither Premiere nor Crosby has written back about the STC to swap the engines.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote:So mine has brakes and wheels that no other DA42 has (that I know of), the fancy sort that is *now* on the DA62 (but apparently wasn't for the first few built).
Sorry to go off-topic, but does your DA42 now have "fancy" Beringer brakes and wheels installed? FYI, I'm unaware that new DA62s have anything but Cleveland brakes and tires, since the Beringer STC is only available for DA42s. So your DA42 is *really* special. :D
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

brakes.JPG
Yes, the Beringer brakes. I was told current DA62s were being made with them. They are gorgeous. (I waited six weeks for the blue color (red would have been instant). I wanted the blue to match my striping. Totally worth it.) The pieces inside the plane are as pretty.

The braking action is a stunning difference, instead of feeling like a soapbox derby racer skittering along on too little rubber I am suddenly in a sports car with a properly balanced braking system. they recently shortened the runway at my home field *and* I've been flying out of KFHR a fair bit, and it makes me much more comfortable landing with less than 3,500 feet available. Still working on the blog entry for it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
farleymike
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: michael
Aircraft Registration: N197TS
Airports: 7FL6

Post by farleymike »

Hi Colin,

What info are you looking for from Premier? The latest price to upgrade to the CD-155 engines with scimitar props was about $230k all in. Right now we are being told it is a 20 week wait to get engines. Do not know why that is yet.

Hope this helps.

mike
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Colin wrote:My thought on putting money into my DA42 is that they are so rare that further making one unique will make the price point more difficult to calculate. I think scimitar props would be a good addition on this list.
Colin your wheels are gorgeous. Congrats.
Re: prop: you only live once. Go for it, be happy and I promise you'll find a crazy Colin 2 who will be all over you to get this rare bird.
The Scimitars look so much nicer on the 42. Keep in mind you can pick the color of the blades, tips ans spinner.
I know someone who managed to buy -VI hinge fairings too.