5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Check list

Post by CFIDave »

Perry, congrats on your new plane!

With a 2018 DA42-VI, your plane with G1000 NXi should include a DA42NG electronic checklist file installed on the single 32 Gbyte SDcard that fits into the bottom MFD slot. This file will be transferred to the MFD's non-volatile memory the first time that the G1000 NXi loads off of the card.

Separately you should have been supplied with a lightweight telescoping aluminum tow bar for the DA42's nose wheel that can easily be carried in the nose baggage compartment. Be careful to use it only for steering, NOT for pushing or pulling the DA42 forwards or backwards (my pilot wife learned the hard way that the tow bar end may break off if you pull on it too hard).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

Too true about the end breaking off. I had to repair mine. I used a nice machine screw and tapped the tow bar for the screw.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I learned that about the steering bar by trying it in the first 24hrs I had the plane and it slipped out and I landed flat on my ass. I figure the controllers in the tower had a good laugh at the slapstick happening at the base of the tower.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

CFIDave wrote:Perry, congrats on your new plane!

With a 2018 DA42-VI, your plane with G1000 NXi should include a DA42NG electronic checklist file installed on the single 32 Gbyte SDcard that fits into the bottom MFD slot. This file will be transferred to the MFD's non-volatile memory the first time that the G1000 NXi loads off of the card.
Dave
That was the advice I got from support, but in spite of doing as they suggested, the checklist doesn’t transfer across, and the soft key is greyed out.
According to Martin, chief pilot, he is still to complete the checklists for the NXi, this year (2018).
Cheers
David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

David: Thanks for the clarification from Martin. The Garmin G1000 NXi Pilot's Guide for the DA42 NG (that includes the -VI) shows that the electronic checklist should be supported in software. (I haven't flown a DA42-VI with NXi yet although we just delivered our first one to a customer). It's surprising that the "legacy" G1000 checklist.ace file posted on Diamond's website doesn't work with NXi, so perhaps the NXi requires a different file format.

FYI, my DA62 with G1000 NXi is even further behind: Not only is there no electronic checklist.ace file, but the Garmin NXi software doesn't support it at all (e.g., it's missing in the Garmin G1000 NXi Pilot's Guide for the DA62).

Having said all that, I never found the electronic checklists on the MFD particularly useful on my (non-NXI) DA42-VI or DA40 XLS G1000s. IMHO, paper checklists are far more accessible and faster to review.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI