4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Using diesel fuel in the United States

Post by neema »

Has anyone tried this in the US/North America? The NG AFM supplement o05 (http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... O05-r0.pdf) states that:

1. a dedicated engine software (VC33_0_05_18_D; note the "_D") and G1000 software update is required. http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... Engine.pdf
2. a limitation placard with fuel temps
3. no diesel allowed in the aux tanks (wonder why? perhaps it may cool down fuel temps in the mains too much)
4. performance changes: 7% increase in takeoff roll, less climb performance, engine-out performance (etc) below 7°C/50°F
5. EN 590 fuel must be used. This is a grade of fuel used in the EU--not sure of discrepancies with ultra low sulfur diesel in California. I know EN 590's cetane rating is a little higher but have read that Jet A doesn't even have a required cetane minimum (not as applicable to turbines)

At work, we order red diesel for tractors/equipment and a year ago saw prices in the mid-low $1 range. It's closer to $2 now. Even diesel at the pump is a good chunk cheaper than contract Jet A. Wondering if anyone has insight on this.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Using diesel fuel in the United States

Post by CFIDave »

This would be a good question to call Diamond Canada to ask about.

My understanding is that while it's easy to load Austro ECUs with the special diesel fuel software (about a 15 minute operation for both engines using the Austro Wizard), Austros probably have not been FAA certified for such operation in North America. And if allowed, operation in cold weather with diesel fuel would be severely limited.

This is somewhat similar to the way that avgas engines that were originally certified to use 100LL must be separately certified (often with an STC) to run mogas.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Post by Wilfried »

I am not sure, if my comment is helpful for you in the US. From spring to autumn I run my DA42NG preferably on Diesel without any issue. I have a heated hangar, so engine starting fuel temperature is no issue. I guess, I could run the engines also in winter on diesel fuel. After start up the main tanks are being heated, whereas you have no heating in your auxiliaries.

Nevertheless basic requirements for Diesel fuel to be sold in Germany are published (it is in German, but I think you can figure out what it means):

Mindestanforderungen an Dieselkraftstoff in Deutschland
Bezeichnung CFPP-Value Zeitraum "Limits Class"
Sommerdiesel 0 °C 15.04. – 30.09. B
Übergangszeit −10 °C 01.10. – 15.11. D
Winterdiesel −20 °C 16.11. – 28.02. F
Übergangszeit −10 °C 01.03. – 14.04. D
(CFPP = Cold Filter Plugging Point)

I guess you do not have these requirements in the US. So in Germany or Europe during the year you always know what Diesel fuel Class you have in your tank. The Diesel Supplement is refering to these classes.

The cost advantage is substantial: I pay 1.20$ per 1 Liter Diesel as opposed to 2.10$ for JET A1.
    42.N020
    neema
    4 Diamonds Member
    4 Diamonds Member
    First Name: Neema
    Aircraft Type: DA62
    Aircraft Registration: N617DC
    Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Great info Wilfred. Thanks for the response.

I checked in with Diamond. Simple answer is that the FAA type certificate does not include diesel fuel, so no diesel.

With fallback/default temperature limitations on unknown grades of diesel (as in the supplement), it'd be nice to still have the option to use diesel. Placards and G1000 and Austro software updates don't seem so difficult.

Would anyone else here be able to make use of diesel? You'd have to always bring your own fuel.