Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Re: pilot relief tube

Post by Aart »

I guess it makes quite a bit of difference if your seats can recline or not. Mine's can and putting it in the furthermost backward position it becomes easier to pee in a bottle or any other thing as you may imagine. Even tilting your body a bit sideways becomes an option. It is a consideration for opting for reclining seats! ;)
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

This thread is hilarious!
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Actually Antoine, I think the thread is more disappointing than hilarious..
I always thought that masculine Diamond pilots were real men, with a 'tube' serious enough to use the storm window.. Of course I mean the storm window on the the opposite side for obvious reasons.
Aart
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Seriously (and before I get stripped of a few of my stars by the moderator), I would not be wild about the idea that my residues would end up on the empennage, because this venturi probably would not prevent that?
Aart
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Here is a solution for some of you. If it's good enough for NASA then it should be good enough for you.

http://www.chabotspace.org/assets/get-i ... diaper.pdf
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There was the NASA astronaut that went and kidnapped her love rival and her plan was to put a diaper on her and drive her back to Florida in the trunk of the car. I wasn't picturing a NASA-branded item. That was silly of me.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

I remember my glider flying .....up to 6 hrs x-country flights .... no possibility to land .... needed all the concentration to stay in the thermals .. and coming home. Then it was a MUST. On my DG100: wing level, stick slightly fwd (IAS 110) to get space for the bag  … finally bag out of the small sliding window. (open end first) …….. wing cleaning after the landing.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Colin wrote:I am not sure Kai should really be participating in this discussion, since I think he once nearly incapacitated himself by not drinking enough (since he didn't want to pee in the Gatorade bottle).
OK, Colin. That is 7 years ago, you are nearly right there and your memory withstands age impressively better than your bladder. But my issue was a kidney stone as a result of dehydration. I simply did not carry enough water with me during 17 hours of flying two legs in hot climate. Yes, I quite enjoyed the first leg as I did not have to pee into the Gatorade bottle while having my co-pilot sitting next to me. Yes, I was stupid. Lesson learned.

Back to the topic: I was not aware that it could be difficult to pee into a bottle in a Diamond DA40/42 cabin. I should stop making fun of it now and try to be more constructive. Thanks to all the input here I can see the advantages of a suction tube. After endless years of tinkering around with damned window latches, it is obvious that new challenges are on the way and I cannot overhear the calls of the community to design a a vibrating and well-padded relief tube.
Aart wrote:Actually Antoine, I think the thread is more disappointing than hilarious..
I always thought that masculine Diamond pilots were real men, with a 'tube' serious enough to use the storm window.. Of course I mean the storm window on the the opposite side for obvious reasons.
Aart wrote:Seriously (and before I get stripped of a few of my stars by the moderator), I would not be wild about the idea that my residues would end up on the empennage, because this venturi probably would not prevent that?
I understand your issues, Aart. If space is you problem, consider a reel to unwind your manliness like an HF antenna. Unwind far enough to not stain the empennage.
(Internal note: all admins on this board envy you for your problems (obviously the German ones more) and publicly stripping off your stars was only one option discussed)
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

I have some friends that flew the U2 spy plane. They used the condom catheter. They would get all suited up and the catheter would slip off. Thats kind of a problem when you are wearing a full space suit.

The external male catheter is totally feasible; glider and fighter pilots use them all the time. You connect the condom-style catheter to a two foot rubber tube with a 2ltr water reservoir pouch used by cyclists, and place the pouch on the floor behind the seat. The catheters and tubing are available at medical supply houses and the water pouches at bike and camping gear shops. You can drink as much water and energy drinks as you want stress free.

The relief tube systems available through Aircraft Spruce use venturi valves so don't work at altitude and during the winter due to freezing. Also these would probably be impossibe to install on a DA42 because of the nose landing gear.

Nick Budd (age 71)
N483TS
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

:D :D :D
Can you re-explain this thing with the two-foot-condom-style catheter Nick? Age 71 ??? Boy oh boy :bow