5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: I flew a DA42 today!

Post by CFIDave »

Wow, that's really strange behavior.

The data cards for a DA42 should reside in the bottom PFD/MFD slots exactly as with a DA40.

I would suggest you do the following:
Restart the PFD and MFD in "Maintenance Mode," shut down, and re-start to have the PFD/MFD "re-verify" the databases on the cards:
- make sure the G1000 is powered off
- remove all SD Cards from all slots
- pull the PFD and MFD circuit breakers OUT
- apply power by switching on the Electric Master (or turn on GPU if you choose to use ground power)
- restart the PFD in Maintenance Mode by holding down the ENT key while pushing the PFD circuit breaker IN; as soon as you see text on the PFD, release the ENT key
- repeat with the MFD: hold down the ENT key while pushing the MFD circuit breaker IN; as soon as you see text on the MFD, release the ENT key
- at this point you should see both the PFD and MFD running in maintenance mode (which you won't need to touch, because you're not going to re-configure anything!)
- shut down power to the G1000 with Electric Master OFF (or GPU off if you were using it)
- re-insert PFD and MFD data cards into their normal BOTTOM slots
- turn Electric Master ON for normal G1000 boot-up
- you will first see lots of text messages showing database verification on both the PFD and MFD
- when the normal MFD splash screen comes up, it will take about a minute to show all of the databases being verified.

This will hopefully cause the G1000 to recognize all databases on cards located in the bottom slots and operate normally.

Separately, I don't believe any of the DA42 TDIs with KAP 140 autopilot aircraft run a G1000 version that supports data logging. So putting a blank card into the top slot of the MFD will accomplish nothing.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: I flew a DA42 today!

Post by Rick »

Thanks, Dave. I was in and out of Maintenance Mode a couple of times today looking at thing, but the cards were always in either the upper or lower slots at the time. I forgot to mention, it has always shown checksum errors on the PFD (for the terrain and obstacle DBs) when they power it up. I saw those, too, with the cards in the top slots, but then they seem to work ok. No errors (and no DBs!) with the cards in the bottom slots...

I will try your procedure and see if it fixes the problem. Yeah, I figured the data logging was probably not going to happen. Can you confirm if 370.22 is in fact the latest version available from TDI TwinStar?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)