5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: SE-MAD new owner

Post by ememic99 »

Colin wrote:The tales of fees for changing your IFR destination don't make me excited about flying in Europe.
IFR routes are charged by Eurocontrol if you fly aircraft over 2 tons MTOM which is non relevant for small piston single engine and twins. Even JetProp falls in this below 2 tons category. Regarding airport fees, you're right - we pay too much but we also pay too much for the fuel and for the maintenance and generaly our regulation is more strict, rigid and at the end more expensive to comply with. But that's the reality and we have to cope with it if we want to enjoy our hoby.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Colin actually it is really not a big deal to fly cross "countries". It takes some planning of course, but a forum post here, a good friend there and a call to the destination airport can be viewed as part of the fun. Customs must be advised early on, but you get used to it.

Then use flight plan pro for IFR route planning and the German dfs for flight plans (all over Europe) and off you go.

The only thing that really disturbs me when doing long trips is actually my own home airport. VFR only, inconvenient opening hours and horrendous landing fees - how about $ 45 for international landing in a DA40?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Antoine wrote:Then use flight plan pro for IFR route planning and the German dfs for flight plans (all over Europe) and off you go.
Or use roter.euroga.org - probably the best IFR routing tool for Europe available on the market. And it's free :)