5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Data Path Failure

Post by CFIDave »

You should see a big silver box (equipment rack), which I assume is the same in the DA42 as in our DA40.

Inside the box is a set of G1000 Line Replaceable Units (LRU electronics modules) that each can be pulled straight up once you remove one screw at the top.

After removing the LRUs, spray electrical contact cleaner into the bottom of the equipment rack.

Here's a better picture of the G1000 equipment rack (from a DA40), with the entire floor and rear baggage compartment removed.
Attachments
IMG_0315.jpg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gfuller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N3GQ
Airports: KJXN

Post by gfuller »

well it was in the box...tight quarters and a pain to get the cover off
gfuller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by gfuller »

it was in the gold box...was a pain in the ass getting the top off
gfuller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by gfuller »

well I cleaned the contacts....no luck
will try the data cards
elmanzah
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

Post by elmanzah »

gfuller wrote:well I cleaned the contacts....no luck
will try the data cards
Was curious if you found any thing new? I am having the same issue after the avionics shop upgraded my software to the latest version (.23). He is telling me that the increased "refresh rate" that comes with the new version of the software causes this message to show up. Something about a magnetometer not being able to handle that refresh rate. I have no reason to doubt his logic at the moment but I am skeptical.

I haven't yet tried the first two suggestions mentioned in this thread.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

With all avionics defects your first and cheapest move is to clean the contacts. I think that has resolved probably 80% of avionics issues I have dealt with.
If you are away from base and do not have contact cleaner a simple re-rack, will often do the trick.
Another thing is don't be a cheap skate with contact cleaner, buy the expensive stuff. Our boss once decided to buy the cheap product and it created more problems than it fixed.
Daneshgari
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N705JP
Airports: KFNT

Post by Daneshgari »

Hi Greg:

I had the same problem both in my Mooney and my recent TBM. I have not had it in my DA42. For whatever it is worth, what helped me was an advice from a tech. When you turn on your avionics hold on to the enter push button on PFD. It should take you to the setup page and explain what the issue is. It could be caused by data mismatch. If nothing else, you may want to call a tech or Garmin.

Take care

Perry
elmanzah
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

Post by elmanzah »

Thank you everyone for the response. Just to clarify. My steps for to turn the engine on and the point at which the error appears is as follows:

1- Turn BAT on
(Data path error and others appear)
2- Fuel pump on
3- prime and start engine
4- Turn ALT on
5- Turn AVIONIC MASTER on
(All errors disappear)

That said, the tech explained that this is normal because the autopilot is offline and therefore the data path error persists until the avionics master is on. He confirmed that everything is functioning normally according to his diagnostics. Wanted to update folks referencing this thread.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Ah. Yes, that is definitely normal.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

I encountered this error yesterday climbing out of Hilton Head. I was about 4000 feet in HDG mode, FLC to 6500, when I heard the AP disconnect tone. The PFD displayed the message that a data path had failed, and the AFCS warning appeared in the upper left corner. All of my tapes, attitude info, and GPS position were still working. But I could not reengage the autopilot in any mode and the electric trim switch was inop. As I was in decent VFR conditions and just flying 90 minutes to Atlanta, I continued my journey while I contemplated the problem. I should have paged over to the AUX page on the MFD to see if there was any helpful intelligence, but before I did that I decided I would just try to cycle the avionics bus to see if the problem repeated. To my pleasant surprise, when everything powered back up on the avionics bus, the errors disappeared and everything functioned normally.
I appreciate the info in this thread and would love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. Now I'm faced with a dilemma. Next month I plan to fly to Oshkosh, then Denver and Las Vegas. Do I treat this as a one-time anomaly and wait to see if it happens again? Or do I start pulling LRU's and spraying everything with contact cleaner? While that may be a preventative measure, I wouldn't want to take the chance to screw something else up. And with a one-time event, it's probably near impossible for an avionics shop to chase down the gremlin.
Fortunately I was in good conditions yesterday. I would be a lot more concerned if this happens in hard IMC, a long way from home. What would you do?