5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: Jeppesen Chartview to Flitecharts

Post by rwtucker »

rwtucker wrote:. . .If an LRU was truly bricked the first possibility is likely that either it or the data path was bad in the first place. Much more likely than any of these possibilities is a corrupted file download on the part of the technician. That happens frequently and the first logical action would be to download again, compare file sizes or get a checksum from Garmin, etc.
A little odd maybe to disagree with myself but when I think about it, Garmin's loader validates each module in a temporary memory area before loading. This means that even a bad download from Garmin's websitte (which does happen, I have one -- I'll post on that later) would be detected at load time. Aside from this side issue, I'll stick with my main point (and now Dave's) that a software load is very unlikely to brick an LRU. The entire discussion would drive me to seek a second opinion.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

Dave
The Aux tanks are ok in the software now so Glenn must have fixed them after Premier missed that. The totalizer reset is correct for full fuel although I wish you could just total main tanks then press again for Aux tanks as I don't keep the Aux tanks topped up unless I'm going on a long trip. It's amazing how much range these aircraft have. I went from Southern MA to BHB and back with full fuel so I could try the Aux tanks out and I still had 36 gals remaining after doing the trip on 95% power both ways with no fuel taken on in Maine.
I'm getting a 2nd opinion on the install from a shop that Garmin recommends so I'm waiting to hear from them next.
Phil
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

After getting blown off by Infinity in Nashua ( I had dropped the plane off so they could reprogram it and after a week they still had not got to programming it) i just decided to get a credit back for the Flitecharts subscription from Garmin and purchase the Jeppesen subscription for the Northeast. 98% of approaches I do are within that subscription area. Although I will not have the entire US or Canada on the G1000 as I had purchased from Garmin, I can purchase one time updates for other regions from Jeppesen if I need to for trips. I think for the most part though I will just use the iPad for the charts outside the Northeast unless I expect to go somewhere for hard IFR. The FltPlan Go app works really well for US and Canada charts and they are both georeferenced and free. I just have to get used to the Jepp charts on the G1000 I guess.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Bummer. I'm having similar heartburn--during a panel update for annual, the shop reverted everything back to Jepp charts. I was in a rush so I told them I'd have the plane configured for Garmin charts at my home base but no local shops will call me back for the few hours of work to reprogram the panel. I've been without charts on the G1000 now for 60 hours... bah humbug
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

The upside to the Jeppesen charts is the iPad mobile flight deck application which I really like. Will fly the plane this weekend with the Jepp charts and will give a pirep
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Digging a bit of this old thread. And my first posting! :)

Anyhow, we got a new DA40NG to Malmi airport a bit back and we are now contemplating the charts options. Mainly, Chartview of Flightcharts. We are based in Finland, the plane flown only in Europe.

With a quick glance, Garmin's data to Europe seems to be a bit better priced compared to Jeppesen. Or at least with the same amount of money you get actually the whole Europe with Garmin. Jeppesen provides Navdata and then charts of selected parts of Europe for the same money.

I have not been able to find a thorough comparison about these two services to be used in G1000 / DA40. Whats the chart differences? Are there any bonuses for purchasing these to multiple aircraft? Is the data for charts better with Jeppesen or Garmin?

To a bit of a newbie like me, browsing these offers from Garmin and Jeppesen feels like opening a bottle of whisky after 20 minutes of looking to avoid the headache.

Other question altogether is that now the plane has jeppesen data in it, subscription running out. If we revert to Garmin data, how big of an operation that is.

Pekka
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Pehu wrote: I have not been able to find a thorough comparison about these two services to be used in G1000 / DA40. Whats the chart differences? Are there any bonuses for purchasing these to multiple aircraft? Is the data for charts better with Jeppesen or Garmin?
I think it mostly boils down to personal preference. If you prefer the Jeppesen format, then it might be worth the extra cost; otherwise the Garmin option seems to have better pricing. I don't know if there are any discounts for multiple aircraft.
Other question altogether is that now the plane has jeppesen data in it, subscription running out. If we revert to Garmin data, how big of an operation that is.
There's another thread which discusses switching from Jeppesen to Garmin.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I had Jeppesens in my last airplane and went "down" to Garmin in my current one. Haven't missed the Jeppesens at all. The iPad (with either Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight) is excellent and much better than the G1000 for charts. I prefer having traffic, etc., on the G1000 during an approach and find the resolution on the panels to be less than optimal (no full page display, for example).
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

http://thinkaviation.net/difference-bet ... rts-part1/

This is a good comparison of both charts. After using the Jeppesen charts for about 7 months now I really like the layout of them over the Naco charts for a few reasons. The briefing strip is easier to read and it's easier to pick the minimums out. I really like knowing the descent rate for the approach on the chart for a given ground speed. It helps in planning for the approach (although with synthetic vision using the green target makes that less of an issue). I really like the Jepp FD on the iPad for having another source for charts and it's also Geo-referenced where you need to pay extra for that on ForeFlight. ForeFlight now displays the Jepp charts but to get them to display your position you need the more expensive subscription still. The data and display the MFD gives you on the G1000 is still the best method of displaying your position for situational awareness rather than looking at a plate.

Phil
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)