3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jon
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N888UB
Airports: KFSD

TKS Pump Controller Failure

Post by jon1746 »

I went flying Sunday to get some practice in. Primed the TKS system in flight as I had not flown in a while. Noticed the flow did not stop after I shut the system down. Drained almost 5 gallons of fluid before I got back to the airport.

After I shut down the engines, I could hear the pump running. Finally pulled the circuit breaker to get it to stop running.

Found out that a relay in the controller has gone bad.

Anyone else encountered this?

Thanks

Jon
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Re: TKS Pump Controller Failure

Post by N503TS »

Just replaced both windshield pumps as they had failed. The assumption is that only one pump had possibly worked for a while or had limited use then finally the second pump failed. Also found the windshield solenoid on one of the pumps had also failed after we replaced both pumps. We then did a full test of both windshield pumps and both main pumps (same switch swaps both) to get a sign off for FIKI on the plane.

It's important to keep the system active even if you don't use or need the de-icing. I now plan on doing at test of the system monthly when I swap the databases. I also plan on doing a function test of the A/C system for the same reason so as to keep the pump and system lubricated.

When you activate the system on Max setting it keeps the pumps running on a timer. You might want to first check that the button for the Max setting is not stuck in the activated position. That would be a simple fix.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
jon1746
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jon
Aircraft Registration: N888UB
Airports: KFSD

Post by jon1746 »

Yeh they checked the switches. Likewise, I run the system monthly, even in July. I am glad this happened on a sunny day not in the soup picking up ice.

The controller arrived this morning will give an update when they are finished.
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

My windscreen tks is not working also. I am guessing the pumps are under the panel in left side of the baggage compartment. and they are a pain in the butt to get to. Is the solenoid also under that panel? sometimes the solenoid will stick and a tap with the proper tool will "repair" the problem. :)
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

The windshield pumps are under a panel in the baggage compartment on the pilot side. CAV will rebuild old pumps for about $4-500 if you send it to them but they are running several months behind. In the meantime I purchased two used serviceable pumps from Dodson for $500 each (the pumps I purchased came off a damaged Mooney they parted out)> The solenoid was $250 from Dodson. A new pump is $1300 so as both of my pumps were inop I did not see the need to spend that for a system that has a backup and used only infrequently. I sent one of the removed pumps back to CAV so I will have one if one of the two Dodson pumps ever fail.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)