5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: G1000 Data Logging

Post by Chris »

We have many G1000 uploads in the reports section which were collected from version 321.22, so it definitely should work with that version.

It's possible that there's a h/w problem with the card slot / power pins that allows it to read cards but not write to them. It seems unlikely, but I'm not coming up with many other ideas at this point. The only other thing I can think of is something being configured incorrectly in the system setup menu, but I'm not sure if there's even a config option for the data logging feature. I no longer have access to that version to check.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Does it read the monthly database updates from the upper MFD slot ok? In other words, is it reading ok but just not writing? If it isn't reading, how are you doing the nav db updates? If it IS reading but just not saving the logs, then maybe the part of the card slot that senses the little write-protect tab on the SD card is not working?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
h20wrks
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: 815DS
Airports: 60J

Post by h20wrks »

Yes, the upper MFD slot is reading for my updates, and I have tried numerous cards so the issue is not with the cards. Garmin is closed today for the holiday so I will see if they have any additional insight tomorrow.

Jimmy
h20wrks
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: 815DS
Airports: 60J

Post by h20wrks »

With help from Garmin and probably a lot of dumb luck today I have my G1000 data logging. The upper data card has to be the same size and type as lower cards and Garmin had me use a card with the full lower data load to trigger the logging. Thanks for all of the help.
Jimmy
VCS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dick
Aircraft Registration: PHTDX
Airports: EHAM

Post by VCS »

A quick question: looking at data logs for our recently acquired DA42-NG, I see that most of the csv's end about 10 minutes into the flight. I flew two short legs yesterday, with the same behaviour.
The AUX page shows logging (although I only checked after startup the first time).
Any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Dick
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Jimmy, I run 0321.22 and the data logging most definitely works.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

VCS wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:24 am A quick question: looking at data logs for our recently acquired DA42-NG, I see that most of the csv's end about 10 minutes into the flight. I flew two short legs yesterday, with the same behaviour.
The AUX page shows logging (although I only checked after startup the first time).
Any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Dick
Dick, are all the files on your data card the same size? The G1000 should generate about 1.8Mb per hour in the data file. If you open one of the files with a text editor, does it look like it just stops after 10 minutes of samples, or are the samples not spaced one per second? How does the file end? I have never heard of this behavior before - you should get one sample every second from power on until power off, as long as the card is inserted when you turn the G1000 power on.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
VCS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by VCS »

Hey Rick,
The 150 files I have are from the previous owner (plus two I made yesterday). Most are a few KB, only one or two in the MB range. The all seem to end rather abruptly, with only a partial last data line in the file. I'm using FlySto to analyze the few larger files. I've also put in a new SD card -- maybe there was something wrong there. I'll play around and post the results.
VCS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by VCS »

To finish this: I swapped SD data cards (from a Garmin card to an old 3rd-party 2GB card I had lying around). After extensive testing -- that is, two flights on one day -- I can report that the logging works fine. Too bad my ferry flights from London Ont to Amsterdam didn't make it to disk.
Thanks for the help on this.