1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: DEPWW
Airports: EDML

DA40 NG in Germany 2021: Satellite Weather, Flarm, 3rd Party Software

Post by Flylex »

Call me crazy but while I just did my PPL license last week, I had already ordered a brand new DA40 NG, which is scheduled to be delivered in September.
I am German and live in Munich/Bavaria.
Now I should have tons of questions, right? Well, I am probably too excited to phrase them. Here is a small list:

1. Accompanying Planning Software
First of all, I am really disappointed that the data license purchased for the plane (including charts) is not suitable to be used with the "Garmin Pilot" app.
This is probably a license issue with the data providers, however for example the Garmin navsystem of my BMW motorbike, allows to download and use the navigable street map database (Navteq) to in a PC Application for trip planning purposes.
Such comfort is obviously not available with the G1000 NXi database. (I had asked a Garmin sales rep)

So, I am wondering now if "Garmin Pilot" is the right trip planning App or if I am better off with alternatives. Of-course, the "Flight Stream 510" interface has to be supported.

Here is the question: Can there be drawbacks in such support? I mean, if a software vendor says "supported", are then all features of FlightStream duly supported?
Can you recommend "Garmin Pilot" for use with the NXi? As it is the OEM, I would naturally prefer this software right now.

2. Satellite weather
When ordering the plane, I learned that no Satellite Weather option is available. This is in contrast to the offering for the Cirrus SR20, which includes that for all Europe.
Sooner or later, I will want to add such functionality, probably with a Golze device.
Any comment or recommendation on solutions and where best to install this is appreciated

3. Flarm
We have quite some Sailplane traffic in Bavaria/Alps region where I live.
Do you think I should quickly add FLARM features to the machine?
Which one? Where to install that, I mean which maintenance company?

4. General
Which question should I also ask here in this Forum ;-)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA40 NG in Germany 2021: Satellite Weather, Flarm, 3rd Party Software

Post by CFIDave »

Congratulations on your PPL, as well as your new DA40NG!

To answer Question 1: With the FlightSteam 510 and a Bluetooth wireless connection, you can use either Garmin Pilot or the Foreflight Mobile app running on an iPad or iPhone. I have both apps running on my iPad in my DA62 with NXi. I prefer the user interface and greater ease of use with Foreflight.

However, if you purchase an annual subscription to Garmin's PilotPak bundle of databases for your G1000 NXi and subscribe to the basic Garmin Pilot for $75/year, Garmin will provide a free upgrade to the more advanced version of Pilot with all of its advanced features. (I refuse to pay $300/year for the more advanced version of Foreflight.) I'm not sure if this is the case in Europe, so you'll need to check.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
OliverBucher
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Oliver
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: EDDS

Post by OliverBucher »

Flylex wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:54 pm Call me crazy but while I just did my PPL license last week, I had already ordered a brand new DA40 NG, which is scheduled to be delivered in September.
I am German and live in Munich/Bavaria.
Now I should have tons of questions, right? Well, I am probably too excited to phrase them. Here is a small list:

1. Accompanying Planning Software
First of all, I am really disappointed that the data license purchased for the plane (including charts) is not suitable to be used with the "Garmin Pilot" app.
This is probably a license issue with the data providers, however for example the Garmin navsystem of my BMW motorbike, allows to download and use the navigable street map database (Navteq) to in a PC Application for trip planning purposes.
Such comfort is obviously not available with the G1000 NXi database. (I had asked a Garmin sales rep)

So, I am wondering now if "Garmin Pilot" is the right trip planning App or if I am better off with alternatives. Of-course, the "Flight Stream 510" interface has to be supported.

Here is the question: Can there be drawbacks in such support? I mean, if a software vendor says "supported", are then all features of FlightStream duly supported?
Can you recommend "Garmin Pilot" for use with the NXi? As it is the OEM, I would naturally prefer this software right now.

2. Satellite weather
When ordering the plane, I learned that no Satellite Weather option is available. This is in contrast to the offering for the Cirrus SR20, which includes that for all Europe.
Sooner or later, I will want to add such functionality, probably with a Golze device.
Any comment or recommendation on solutions and where best to install this is appreciated

3. Flarm
We have quite some Sailplane traffic in Bavaria/Alps region where I live.
Do you think I should quickly add FLARM features to the machine?
Which one? Where to install that, I mean which maintenance company?

4. General
Which question should I also ask here in this Forum ;-)
Hello,
I am glad that you have decided to buy a DA40. It's a really easy plane to fly.
To your questions, my experiences/opinions:
to 1.)
There are ForeFlight or Garmin for VFR and IFR in Europe. I have the maps, for example, directly from Jeppesen. With an aircraft bundle, I can activate the aircraft and 3 devices (apps). So I have the maps on the GTN750 / GTN650 incl. Navdata, Obstaceles ... and on my 2 Ipads. I myself use ForeFlight. Since I don't have a 510 I can't upload and download flight plans etc.
to 2.)
Unfortunately we don't have a UAT ADSB like in the USA. So Golze is certainly a very good choice. To consider is often fixed installation (ADL190/200) or portable (ADL160/170). I know Mr. Golze from the Aero. He is really nice, and also active in the PUF (PilotundFlugzeug) forum. Just get in contact with him.
to 3.)
I am stationed at the Swabian Alb (gliderfield Hornberg), therefore I will see the gliders. Because of this I have installed the TRX1500A about 5 years ago. The TRX is connected to the G500 and GTN750. The Air-Avionic AT1 is the successor of the TRX (with the better PowerFlarm with mor output power). It has the advantage of ADSB-In and Flarm in/out. I can really recommend such a solution. Due to the ARINC 429 bus it can be well integrated into the Avionic.

Greetings from the Swabian Alb
Oliver
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Hello Alexander,
congratulation for your new plane, good choice.
Point 3 FLARM: In my opinion Flarm is a must in our region. We just had a terrible glider/Robin collision 2 weeks ago, with the Robin not equipped with Flarm and probably TRX off! I have a PowerFlarm installed for 10 years now, and it helped me a lot seeing the gliders. The AT1 and Power Flarm Fusion are the best solution.
Aside from collision avoidance avionics, it is a good advice to fly above the cloud basis and inversion and avoid glider spots. They rarely tuning in the blue sky. Use the best-in-class cockpit view of the DA40 for visual scanning when flying VFR.
Grüsse Thomas
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Hi!

I coown and fly a 2019 DA62 with NXI and a 2017 DA40NG with legacy G1000 out of Augsburg. I was trying to find FLARM solutions for quite some time now, but especially with the 345R ADS-B in/out and the TAS600 already installed there seems to be no good way for a permanent installation with correct documentation/certification. Does anyone knows a good solution?

Regards,
Jan
bart
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bart
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: EHRD KLGB

Post by bart »

Hi!

Congrats on your new plane. Somehow I'm unable to PM you.

Would it be possible for you to share any details on costs (purchase cost, expected yearly maintenance, hangar etc), and also whether you were using any form of financing?
I'm located in the Netherlands and considering to buy a DA40. Sadly, the local dealer doesn't seem very helpful.
Whatever you can share is much appreciated - I believe there shouldn't be big differences between Germany and Netherlands so it's a good comparison material. Feel free to PM.

Many thanks for all your help,
Bart