2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: KFUL

Considering New DA40 "NG"

Post by FPKONE »

1) Considering buying a new DA40 NG myself or via DiamondShare program. Anyone know if the sale price is negotiable with either?

(I read the DiamondShare pro/con thread already.)

2) Any must have Options you would recommend?

3) Only real complaints I hear about the plane are a lot of FADEC related issues (ECU failures, SYSTEM / code resets, etc.) and of course Turbo hose coming off. Are those pretty much resolved?

4) Other thoughts?

THANKS!
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Re: Considering New DA40 "NG"

Post by Donkadillapig »

Scott,
I took delivery earlier this year. My experience is limited but here's my two cents on your questions.

On pricing, I doubt you'll get much room. These are desirable aircraft and most are "custom ordered". Used '18/'19/'20 DA40 NGs are rarer than rocking horse poop!

Options... aircon, aircon and take the aircon!!! The 510 Flightstream is awesome.... there's different schools of thought on the permanent Ipad mount. It's my understanding that it's often not ordered as it's very permanent and often in the way.

Complaints... for what it's worth, I'm at 40hrs TT and haven't had a single ECU type problem or FADEC problem. The darn thing just starts when you turn the key and works like it should.
If I had one gripe, and this is just an observation... you can sort of tell that the Factory in Canada is going "full bore". If you get looking in close detail (with a picky mindset) you start to see minor imperfections in the trim and finish around the aircraft. A little bit of sealant smudged, headliner not glued especially well, joints not meeting up perfectly. It sometimes just looks like the finish was "rushed". And it most likely was. Small wonder really as buyers like myself get noisy at month 6 of the 6 month wait LOL

BUT... it's an amazing aircraft, super capable and you'll have people at every FBO you fly to want to check out the "Jet-A DA40".
I fly regularly now a 500nm round trip to my head office, it's relaxing and a pleasure to do so.
georgebabu
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: CFZDS
Airports: CYKZ

Post by georgebabu »

Scott,

I echo what Steve says. Got my DA40NG new in March. 80TT so far.

Pricing: Used and new aircraft are rare, so didn’t have much luck getting a price break.

Options: Mixed feelings. It’s now 20C to 30C in Toronto, so you’re guaranteed to sweat on the ground (especially if you’re doing full stop circuits/patterns). Yes, you can open the canopy/windows to cool down. Which does work well. But, then you’re left with having to close everything quickly as you take position on the runway. On the other hand, I’m already struggling with the useable payload when I have passengers. So adding the weight of the aircon if you’re going to fly often with 3 or more passengers is something to consider. I ended up opting for being able to carry more fuel than having the aircon (I fly higher if it gets warm).

Complaints: Haven’t seen any issues so far with ECU or FADEC. Like Steve, I too have noticed imperfections in the trim/finish. A rubber weather strip on the wings started coming off and had to be glued on. Another new DA40NG owner at our airport had to take his back a week after picking it up to have the weather strip reglued as it had mostly come off. On yesterday’s flight, the cabin roof padding (also glued on) was falling off and I had to push it into place! When I picked it up, the co-pilot rudder adjustment handle kept falling off. None of these were major issues, and all easily fixed with some glue. However, it has made me wonder whether there are more serious issues I’m not yet aware of (like the Turbo hose issue you mentioned).

Other than that, I’m absolutely delighted with the aircraft, and looking forward to many years of flying it (until I can get my hands on the DA50 :D
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I got mine 2 1/2 years ago and have just short of 500hrs on the engine.

Pricing: Good luck!

Options:
- I didn't get the AC, but did get JetShades aftermarket. It can get hot, but cruising higher (10,00' - 14,000') takes care of that once airborne. I like the additional useful load and climb performance of the 88lbs saved by not having AC. Fly one a couple of times in your home market (LA?) and see how you feel. @Chili4way has the AC in TX and should comment. Probably mandatory in most of the country except the west coast.

- You want the FS510, SVT, GTX345R, GFC7000, adjustable pedals, etc.

- After market I purchased a Bruce's cover, engine plugs, sheepskin seat covers, "Brett fin" (to keep the nose wheel straight), and Mountain High O2 with boom cannula. All except maybe the sheepskins are pretty much mandatory purchases.

ECU/FADEC: The ECU will show an error when there is any engine issue, only a very few are serious. The only one that has come up for me is the wastegate failure which results in overboost, not loss of power. Replaced under warranty and so far so good.

Overall the Austro engine is quiet, smooth, starts like your car, consumes embarrassingly little fuel and about 1.5qt of oil every 100hrs.

Complaints:
- I had the same fit/finish issues. The headliner had to be reattached, but had since stayed in place. The gasket between the wing and stub had to be reattached (I used 3M Marine silicone sealant).

- Understand the minimum power correction at altitude (Austro Ops manual) so you're not surprised when you experience that.

- My electro-mechanical AI had to be replaced under warranty and is again making loud noises. I'm replacing it and the AS next month with Garmin GI-275's.

- Very few Austro engine service centers.
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

All I would add is that the flipside of strong new NG pricing is the strong aftermarket sales support. Just sold my 2019 DA40 NG and received 94% net purchase price back on sale after 20 months of ownership and 375 TT. Hopefully this dealer-led market support continues into the future
FPKONE
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Airports: KFUL

Post by FPKONE »

Mdm0515 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 pm All I would add is that the flipside of strong new NG pricing is the strong aftermarket sales support. Just sold my 2019 DA40 NG and received 94% net purchase price back on sale after 20 months of ownership and 375 TT. Hopefully this dealer-led market support continues into the future
Curious why you sold it?
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

FPKONE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:26 am
Mdm0515 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 pm All I would add is that the flipside of strong new NG pricing is the strong aftermarket sales support. Just sold my 2019 DA40 NG and received 94% net purchase price back on sale after 20 months of ownership and 375 TT. Hopefully this dealer-led market support continues into the future
Curious why you sold it?
In process of stepping up to a twin....
vnehess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N515GG
Airports: KRHV

Post by vnehess »

I am in the process of purchasing your recently sold DA40 NG, N515GG. Will be picking up next week, I am looking forward to flying it back to west coast.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

vnehess wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:09 pm I am in the process of purchasing your recently sold DA40 NG, N515GG. Will be picking up next week, I am looking forward to flying it back to west coast.
Is there an error in your profile? Is your home airport KRHV - Reed Hillview? Or is there another KHRV
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

vnehess wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:09 pm
I am in the process of purchasing your recently sold DA40 NG, N515GG. Will be picking up next week, I am looking forward to flying it back to west coast.
That' s great news! I loved the airplane and hope you will as well. Have fun and be safe