2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N475PS
Airports: KGMU

Re: Brand New Owner???

Post by Shodan01 »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 am
TimS wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 pm One other bit of info. Currently, it is much cheaper to buy a plane which is already WAAS capable than retrofitting WAAS on an existing plane.
That's no longer true. It used to cost $20-$30K to add a pair of GIA63Ws to non-WAAS planes with only GIA63s, but with Diamond's upgrade program the cost for (used) GIA63Ws to add WAAS is about $13K.

Are you guys saying that equipment to upgrade my 2005 to WAAS would be 13K plus labor? Last I thought it was 20-30K but I haven't been tracking with it in a while.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Yes
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Hawker
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: OEDSM
Airports: LOWK

Post by Hawker »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am
Geezer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:34 pm ... but in speaking with my instructor he said that precision approaches are the only thing that would be missed.
Sorry to say but he's talking nonsense. No RNP or GPS (or call it however you want) approach (WAAS or no-WAAS) is considered as precision approach. The only precision approach is ILS (ok and MLS but nobody knows if it exists anywhere anymore) and you'll be able to shoot it with any DA40, G1000 or not, WAAS or not.

Vertical guidance in GPS approaches is nice to have but not essential.
Dear Emir,

As I identify you as EASA pilot flying in the area Zader I want to leave a comment on your strict Statement: Yes, you are right that the wording precision approach does not longer fit for GPS approaches! But: They are now called 2-D or 3-D approaches with different Decision Heights or Desent Altitudes. WAAS mostly delivers you RNP1 instead of RNP5 and this is the issue here. Not really the approach is the problem, the transition to the approach is the issue. In Zadar LDZA most of your STARs are RNAV1 defined. RNAV to RNP - by ICAO - RNAV includes also other NAV instruments like DME/IRN/....RNP is GPS based. In your case and in most EASA countries the quality for GPS APP is minimum RNP2 that means at Zadar, without Radar guidance you are without WAAS less than RNAV1 or RNP1 and you are leagelly not allowed to fly the STAR. Sorry for that - but this is the real WAAS issue!

Take care - michael
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Hawker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm
ememic99 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am
Geezer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:34 pm ... but in speaking with my instructor he said that precision approaches are the only thing that would be missed.
Sorry to say but he's talking nonsense. No RNP or GPS (or call it however you want) approach (WAAS or no-WAAS) is considered as precision approach. The only precision approach is ILS (ok and MLS but nobody knows if it exists anywhere anymore) and you'll be able to shoot it with any DA40, G1000 or not, WAAS or not.

Vertical guidance in GPS approaches is nice to have but not essential.
Dear Emir,

As I identify you as EASA pilot flying in the area Zader I want to leave a comment on your strict Statement: Yes, you are right that the wording precision approach does not longer fit for GPS approaches! But: They are now called 2-D or 3-D approaches with different Decision Heights or Desent Altitudes. WAAS mostly delivers you RNP1 instead of RNP5 and this is the issue here. Not really the approach is the problem, the transition to the approach is the issue. In Zadar LDZA most of your STARs are RNAV1 defined. RNAV to RNP - by ICAO - RNAV includes also other NAV instruments like DME/IRN/....RNP is GPS based. In your case and in most EASA countries the quality for GPS APP is minimum RNP2 that means at Zadar, without Radar guidance you are without WAAS less than RNAV1 or RNP1 and you are leagelly not allowed to fly the STAR. Sorry for that - but this is the real WAAS issue!

Take care - michael
I’m sorry but the most of what your wrote is wrong. LDZA is Zagreb. LDZD is Zadar. Both have non-RNAV STARs.