smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

DA40 XLT Performance vs. XL/XLS

Post by smoss »

I am looking at the XLT specs, and everywhere I see, they show max true airspeed as 142 kts. Also, they show an empty weight about 100 pounds less than most XLS birds, with a corresponding increased useful load. Is it truly slower than the XL/XLS, which generally all see a max of about 147-150 knots true? Any is the empty weight actually less, or does their number just not include any of the standard add-ons, like the TCAS, XM receiver, etc.? Lastly, has Diamond done anything on it to resolve the corked nosewheel problem, or doe they all still fly with a sideways flopped wheel? Thanks for any feedback. Not sure how many XLT owners there are yet.
Steve
DA40 XL
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: DA40 XLT Performance vs. XL/XLS

Post by pietromarx »

Let's set aside the branding for a second and focus upon the things that make the plane go faster or slower. The labels are all marketing. Over the years there have been incremental changes that have improved speed and capacity. All are available for all airplanes, though the later ones have them pre-installed.

The base DA-40-180 with the original fairings and landing gear was sold as a 142-145 kts and 2535 max weight.
By changing out the fairings ("speed gear") and exhaust (tuned vs. original) you get an extra 5-10 knots of speed.
By changing out the landing gear you get another 111 lbs of capacity.

The nosewheel thing is really just variable. It happens every now and then to me, but only with a right crosswind on takeoff. Otherwise, I never see it. I never saw it on my previous DA-40. Even when it happens it is an annoyance more than anything else and only noticeable to the pilot.

The empty weight of the airplane depends upon how much stuff you have installed. Every airplane gets heavier over time as the factory throws more shmoo into the planes to sell to those who need the latest / greatest / heaviest.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The labels aren't just marketing; Diamond actually made significant changes to the aircraft:

2007 XL: This was the first Lycoming DA40 model that came standard with the GFC700 autopilot (requiring a different MFD with autopilot buttons on the bezel), Powerflow exhaust (requiring newer 3-bladed MT prop), "speed gear," 50-gallon extended-range fuel tanks, AmSafe front seatbelt airbags, and Avidyne TAS600 active traffic. Maximum cruise was about 145-150 KTAS.

2008-2012 XLS: Starting with the XL model features, the XLS added WAAS for flying LPV approaches by installing a pair of GIA63Ws instead of GIA63 units, an MFD with a VNV (Vertical Navigation) button on the MFD bezel, a 1-inch taller bubble canopy for more pilot headroom, fake-wood inlays in the cabin sidewalls, fake carbon-fiber protective sill plates, and a "curry" (tan) leather interior as an option to gray leather. The TAS600 unit became an extra-cost option. Starting part-way through the 2008 model year, XLS models with the 3-bladed MT prop included about 20 lbs of nose ballast to make the back seat more usable with the 50-gal fuel tanks, and Synthetic Vision (Garmin SVT) became a popular $10K option. Terrain awareness TAWS-B was included standard with 2008 models, but dropped in later XLS models since "TAWS-lite" was included with the SVT option. But the performance of the XLS compared to the XL remained unchanged.

2013-2016 XLT: The major difference between the XLT and the XLS was an all-new upgraded interior with 1-inch wider front seats (with slightly narrower center console), upgraded leather, reclining front seats with lumbar adjustment, sun visors, rear seat cupholders on the floor, and lots more fake woodgrain (or carbon fiber) trim, including under the instrument panel. And the standard external vinyl stripes were changed from curved to a chevron pattern. There was no change to performance of the XLT compared to the earlier XLS or XL models.

Note: Production of the XLT model ceased after 2016 when Garmin stopped production of the Legacy G1000; it was restarted in 2020 when the DA40 XLT was certified for G1000 NXi (the NXi model also includes the GTX345R transponder with ADS-B IN weather and traffic).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I have a 2010 XLS with special factory custom order of 40 gallon tanks,(to increase back seat mass for W&B), no ballast in the nose, two bladed Hartzell composite prop and can easily cruise at around 22 MP-2400 RPM and see 142-145 kts TAS between 6 to 8k altitude. That said, I have only experienced a corked nosewheel on a few occasions and that is when I took off in a significant crosswind. This is my forth factory new DA40 since my very first one in 2003 when I was learning to fly. Since these planes are pretty much hand built at the factory, I have found that each individual plane has somewhat of its own personality which may differ from the assembly line plane built just before it and just after it.
N623DS.jpg
Last edited by Don on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Dave, so are you saying that the peak TAS of the XLT should be the same as for the XL/XLS, more realistically 145-150 than the touted 142? I would love to get feedback from someone who actually has one. My XL easily does 148-150 at 5,000 to 10,000 MSL, and I would hate to 'upgrade' to a slower plane.
Steve
DA40 XL
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

smoss wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:25 pm Dave, so are you saying that the peak TAS of the XLT should be the same as for the XL/XLS, more realistically 145-150 than the touted 142?
Yes. Besides owning an XLS for 4 years, I sell, fly, and provide transition training in all of these. And I can tell you that in the "real world" there's very little difference in performance between XL, XLS, and XLT models: They all have similar aerodynamics, engine, and Powerflow exhaust, and weigh about the same.

The one thing that CAN affect performance very slightly is the propeller, since there may be 3 different props found on these aircraft:
- Wood-core (with composite covering) 3-blade MT
- Aluminum 2-blade Hartzell
- Composite black Hartzell with 2 scimitar (wider) blades

See attachment describing DA40 prop options (published back in 2008):
Attachments
2008-06-DA40props.pdf
(295.3 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Interesting the prop brochure says the 2 blade aluminum adds 1-2 kts., but the 2 blade composite does not. Considering the CG issue many people run in to, it seems the 2 blade aluminum would be the clear winner unless you carry 2 really heavy people in the front and need the few pounds savings.
Steve
DA40 XL
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 pm Yes. Besides owning an XLS for 4 years, I sell, fly, and provide transition training in all of these. And I can tell you that in the "real world" there's very little difference in performance between XL, XLS, and XLT models: They all have similar aerodynamics, engine, and Powerflow exhaust, and weigh about the same.
As I say, not to be too snarky, the marketing labels (and they are for marketing!) don't make much of a difference in actual speed or performance.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I would add the Bret Fin to the list of improvements. My 2008 XLS bumps along nicely at 150kts if trimmed with a rearward c of g now.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Completely agree with Lou. I am easily seeing 150kts consistently now.