5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Preventing cowling scratches...

Post by Steve »

... when R&R for maintenance.

I am a bit OCD about my airplane. One thing that always bothered me about shop-maintained airplanes was the apparent lack of care they used when de-cowling and re-cowling after maintenance. Plus, it really requires two people to do it with care, and I am typically doing it by myself. One of the areas on DA40s that seems especially prone to damage is the front cowling rim just behind the prop spinner backing plate.

I used to place a piece of corrugated cardboard between the prop and cowling during R&R, and that worked OK, but over the years it got pretty bent up and flaccid. Plus, the heavy-duty piece I used was on the thick side, allowing very little room to install the cowlings. I found a new material and made a modern version:
IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg
It is made from a self-healing fabric cutting mat (available at Hobby Lobby and other craft shops for about $30). It is durable, of the proper stiffness, thin, and is slippery enough to let you slip the cowling in without damage. Simply cut a slot to fit your prop hub, and Voila!

Steve
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Re: Preventing cowling scratches...

Post by astaib »

Very good idea, I always pay attention to explain what to do and what to take care about to my friend that help me to remove this cowling!

I placed automotive paint protection film (stripe of 5cm width) on my spinner in that area.

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b