First Name: Logan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N248DS
Airports: KOWD

Re: Aileron/Wing Skin Question

Post by lgrennlee »

Diamond replied:
Hello Logan,

As we discussed earlier, remove the aileron and investigate the area further as we do not suspect a delamination until we have further details. Refer to Chapter 51 in the DA40-180 Maintenance Manual for outlined Inspection procedures.

I have discussed this matter with one of my colleagues that have seen a similar occurrence in the past due to placement of wings on carts or an object causing pressure on this area.

This repair was solved by clamping a straight edge to the surface on the affected area, a low amount of heat applied to the area as not to burn or damage but to make the material pliable.

Let us know your findings as well if this solves your issue.

Regards,
I looked at two other Diamonds on our ramp a 42 and a 40, they all have some sort of deformation along the trailing edge but don't end up touching the aileron. After looking at it more closely, the aileron only touches when deflected up. When down, a gap opens up. There does not appear to be anyway that the contact could impinge on the controllability of the plane. I have a trip to the shop next week so I will have them look at it.

Steve, thanks that is exactly what it looks like. You haven't had any issues right?

I appreciate all the inputs, thanks!

Logan
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Logan- 14 year old plane, no change whatsoever over time. Works great.
Steve
DA40 XL
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by lgrennlee »

I talked to the service center. They were not really excited about Diamond's solution (heat) and were concerned about using too much. For now, we've decided not to take action. They suggested that if I did want it fixed that the Factory should do it.
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

It’s also possible that when you are in flight the two services do not contact each other when flight loads/forces are placed on them...ie upper service lower pressure flexing the wing skin away from the control service. Are you able to see the gap clearly in flight?
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by lgrennlee »

We talked about that as well. This is very likely since the sag area is at the aileron counter balance pocket. There will be air going through there. The gap is most closed when the aileron is up but this is also when the flow of air into the pocket is at its highest. When the aileron is down there is a visible gap. I think it is fine, it is a new plane for me and I am still learning what normal is...
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by lgrennlee »

Last post! I took the plane to a warmer part of the country- current temps are 40F-50F on the ground and there appears to be no contact. I guess this is now a seasonal issue! Quite interesting that 30 degrees would have such an effect. Thanks for all of your help.
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by lgrennlee »

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. It appears that the contact issue only shows up in the winter. As soon as it warmed up here the skin areas that were touching, then did not.