5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Possible Aspen installation

Post by Rich »

Two punch list items so far:

OAT: The configuration process requires setting the bias after the AFD has been in operation for 20 minutes. Today, upon initial startup in the hangar, the E5, Davtron and a third digital thermometer all agreed at 5 deg C. As time went by the E5 slowly crept up to 8, where it stabilized, as the other two references stayed at 5. I suspect the shop didn't follow the procedure of allowing the EFD to warm up.

More troubling, I can't seem to set the textual v-speeds. They are not locked. I can enable/disable but can't select for adjustment. I'm thinking defective unit.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

If you mean changing the values of the various speeds, you might be right. I just tested it and the values can be changed on mine. However that is something that should have been done by the avionics shop so they should have stumbled upon that issue :scratch:
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Charles wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:35 pm If you mean changing the values of the various speeds, you might be right. I just tested it and the values can be changed on mine. However that is something that should have been done by the avionics shop so they should have stumbled upon that issue :scratch:
These particular speeds are mostly expected to be changed by PIC, as some (not all) theoretically vary with conditions. They don't display "LOCKED", but now I'm wondering if they would say that if the installer did in fact lock them. Aspen docs are not super-clear in this area. All the soft-keys do work for other functions.

I also confirmed that a problem with adjustment of the NULL setting from AP to roll servo will cause flying off-center of course in certain AP modes. I suspected this with my original HSI, but it's actually documented in the Aspen manuals.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

Are you trying to do this from the pilot menu (Menu button) or the installation menu (convoluted combination of keys)?

The values can only be changed from the installation menu and the installation manual has this warning about them:

WARNING: Only an appropriately rated mechanic or repairman (14 CFR 43.3) may set the values on the IAS Config A and B menu pages. The values must match the certified speeds in the Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), Pilot Operating Handbook (POH), or other legal form of documentation (e.g., Placard).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Charles wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:47 am Are you trying to do this from the pilot menu (Menu button) or the installation menu (convoluted combination of keys)?

The values can only be changed from the installation menu and the installation manual has this warning about them:

WARNING: Only an appropriately rated mechanic or repairman (14 CFR 43.3) may set the values on the IAS Config A and B menu pages. The values must match the certified speeds in the Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), Pilot Operating Handbook (POH), or other legal form of documentation (e.g., Placard).
Pilot menu does allow setting things like Va and Vy unless the capability was locked at installation. Things like Vne and Vno are a different matter. Docs are clear on this distinction. The latter do not even appear in the pilot operations screen.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 am
Charles wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:47 am Are you trying to do this from the pilot menu (Menu button) or the installation menu (convoluted combination of keys)?

Pilot menu does allow setting things like Va and Vy unless the capability was locked at installation. Things like Vne and Vno are a different matter. Docs are clear on this distinction. The latter do not even appear in the pilot operations screen.
Figured this out. It's subtle but the textual v-speeds are grey, which means they were in fact locked - at zero, which means not only can they not be changed they don't display at all. From the installation manual:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 17.01.01.jpg
and from the pilots guide:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 17.03.48.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 17.05.42.jpg
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

I suppose you could unlock them from the installation menu. See section 10.4.6.6 of the installation manual.

Normally, the shop should have asked you to fill out the Operator Configuration Checklist where you would have specified which textual speeds you wanted configured.

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Charles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:31 pm I suppose you could unlock them from the installation menu. See section 10.4.6.6 of the installation manual.

Normally, the shop should have asked you to fill out the Operator Configuration Checklist where you would have specified which textual speeds you wanted configured.
They didn't ask me anything, just went ahead and did what they did/didn't do. Anyway I went in and corrected these problems and all is well. I do note that the RSM/OAT reading seems a little slower to react to temperature changes than the Davtron, Its bias had been left at zero. Setting the bias at -3.0 has the two of them are at exact agreement or maybe 1 deg diff in flight.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Subject to confirming how the unit works in approaches (especially LPV/ILS, etc.) I'm very happy with it. It's exactly the modest change that works for me. Given what else I have/had, it's a natural fit. It introduces almost nothing additional to deal with (extra baro setting is the only one), and reduces some routine tasks I had before, like manually changing HSI course pointer when following a flight plan.

I'm obviously not happy with the shop, though:
1. 61 days - mostly struggling how to get the RSM wedge fabricated/installed/painted. Each of these steps gave them problems :scratch:
2. The aforementioned screwups with power wiring.
3. Poor attention to detail in configuration. I found a couple more things today I didn't mention that I just went ahead and corrected.
4. Poor communication.
5. ~$3K cost overrun.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

Similar experience here. Got a GTX345 installed and supposedly wired to the Aspen 11 months ago. They still haven't figured out how to get traffic and weather to display on the Aspen. The GNS shows it without any issues so we know the data is there.