5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Possible Aspen installation

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:21 pm There is no "mesh" in the wing skin. But there is a layer of carbon fiber, so compromise of GPS signal is a possibility.
There are both carbon fiber cloth and carbon/aluminum mesh cloth in my wings (see AMM pages below). The carbon/aluminum mesh is in two areas at the wing root and wing tip, so it wouldn't be near the desired RSM location, but as you state, the carbon fiber layers are conductive as well, and would likely interfere with the GPS signal.

I believe that this layer was eliminated in later SNs.
Wing Composites B.jpeg
Wing Composites T.jpeg
Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Rich wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:21 pm There is no "mesh" in the wing skin. But there is a layer of carbon fiber, so compromise of GPS signal is a possibility.
There are both carbon fiber cloth and carbon/aluminum mesh cloth in my wings (see AMM pages below). The carbon/aluminum mesh is in two areas at the wing root and wing tip, so it wouldn't be near the desired RSM location, but as you state, the carbon fiber layers are conductive as well, and would likely interfere with the GPS signal.

I believe that this layer was eliminated in later SNs.
Steve
Gone by the time of the AMM revision 7 (2017). Hard to say just when it was eliminated. A very plausible time would be when production shifted to Canada, but that's a guess. There were a number of obvious changes made in that transition.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Changed sometime before AMM Rev. 6 (April, 2013). I don't suppose it really makes much of a difference, unless you have to make a repair in that area...
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: johnu
Aircraft Registration: N913JD
Airports: KAEG

Post by johnu »

Rich,

I sent you a message directly but for general knowledge the RSM can be mounted on the fuselage using a wedge. I have attached pictures.

Since I have a multi-tube Aspen system I have one installed on the fuselage and one in the wing. The OAT reading from the one in my wing is usually one degrees different from the one installed outside. However if you install it in the wing you lose the use of the back up GPS so I would not recommend it for an E5 or single tube install.

In any case let me know if anyone has any questions.
DA40.jpg
John
Attachments
DSC_1037.JPG
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by johnu »

Rich,

Inside the wing I mounted the RSM in the cover plate. Pictures below:

John
Attachments
RSM mount in wing attached to cover plate 2.JPG
RSM mount in wing attached to cover plate 1.JPG
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

johnu wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:48 pm Rich,

Inside the wing I mounted the RSM in the cover plate. Pictures below:

John
That's good to know. I don't see how it fits, but I guess I'm wrong. It's certainly where I'd prefer it to go.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The RSM for my E5 will be externally mounted on the rear fuselage after all. No big deal, as at this moment I don't see how to get the thing into the existing magnetometer space in my plane. I know John's was somehow fit in there, but there might be a small difference in the location of that access plate in the pre-Canadian planes. The intrusion of that wing rib I see is definitely a factor.

In other news:

Unlike other such devices, the E5 standby battery is supposed to be changed out every 4 years, based on the current ICAW instruction. The documentation for replacement has one removing the unit to replace the battery, But I don't think that'll be necessary in the DA40, as once the instrument cover is off the E5 battery compartment will be fairly accessible (taking extreme care not to drop the screws :scream: ). This would not be true of other aircraft, where the connections, etc. behind the panel are only accessible from below.
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by johnu »

Rich,

Still confused about the RSM not fitting but maybe you are right about the different configurations. Although you have moved forward, this one has me curious so I am going to keep looking at this one!

As far as the battery goes every battery installed has some sort of "lifetime limit" Some are done after a period of time like Aspen, others have on condition tests that need to be performed about every year and would have to be replaced if they did not pass. So in any case replacement of batteries would occur in any unit at some point.

John
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

johnu wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:09 pm Rich,

Still confused about the RSM not fitting but maybe you are right about the different configurations. Although you have moved forward, this one has me curious so I am going to keep looking at this one!

As far as the battery goes every battery installed has some sort of "lifetime limit" Some are done after a period of time like Aspen, others have on condition tests that need to be performed about every year and would have to be replaced if they did not pass. So in any case replacement of batteries would occur in any unit at some point.

John
True about battery life. I've had occasion to see what happens to LiPo packs when they fail - they kind of bulge. In some situations they can be difficult to remove when this happens.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The plane goes into the shop this week :D

On a note not applicable to me, I found in the E5 documentation the explicit affirmation that GPSS is available with the Avidynes. I haven’t shared this with my friend that now has the dual-G5s, as it’s water under the bridge. It might be worth sending out some sort of bulletin to the Aspen installation shops to clear up this misconception.

I’m looking forward to launching into a 400 ft. Ceiling upon picking it up next week NOT!!! Lots of nuance to relearn about dealing with new procedures and certainly making sure everything works.