5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Avionics upgrade

Post by Steve »

My panel (being older than Rich's) is even more old school. No vibration-isolated sub panel for the instruments, and a B/K radio stack instead of Garmin...
IMG_2590.jpg
I like it, though. Since this picture was taken, I swapped out a PS Engineering PMA7000BT for the KMA-28 audio panel, to get the Blue Tooth connectivity.
IMG_3345.jpg
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Rich wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm
Chip&Al wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:10 am For the sake of before/after, here’s a photo of my panel as is right now. I’m sure it will look very familiar to a lot of ya’ll.
My plane (serial 40.208) is merely 2 later than yours. We chose additional options, so it looks slightly different:

N40XE panel after USB install-smaller.jpg

The only visible changes since delivery are a transponder swap (KT74 ADS-B out) and replaced the mag compass with one mounted in the panel. The inclusion of autopilot (side effect; HSI) and GNS530 dictated that the transponder be moved over to the lower right. I believe the panels for this period (2002-2004) are the most vertically compact. Not a lot of room for adding stuff, only changing.
Hi Rich,

Is there a special position for the mag compass ?
I mean forced by regulation.

One year ago, I tried to replace mine by a panel one and I placed it instead of the chrono on my dashboard (look at the picture).
But when I was closing the canopy, it took 20 degrees! Because of steel in the canopy I suppose.
Look at my panel, I’m afraid that the instruments will jam it, don’t you think?

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

astaib wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm Hi Rich,

Is there a special position for the mag compass ?
I mean forced by regulation.

One year ago, I tried to replace mine by a panel one and I placed it instead of the chrono on my dashboard (look at the picture).
But when I was closing the canopy, it took 20 degrees! Because of steel in the canopy I suppose.
Look at my panel, I’m afraid that the instruments will jam it, don’t you think?

Arnaud.
There was an unused instrument position just the right of the Altimeter. That's where I put it - right between the Altimeter and the GNS530. A friend of mine with an almost identical DA40 had previously done the same and I followed his lead. This works fine, though it's sort of amazing given the compass is surrounded by all manner of metallic and electronic thingees.

It did require some adjustment after installation, but this is expected with any mag compass, regardless of location. The biggest challenge was finding a good spot for the compass-correction card. In the end it's that ugly thing stuck to the panel right next to the compass.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: johnu
Aircraft Registration: N913JD
Airports: KAEG

Post by johnu »

Rich,

I have the Lynx, IFD and Aspen's. I love the IFD550 and the Lynx. I also put in a EI MVP engine analyzer which I really love!

BTW My plane is an 02 Diamond DA 40

John
Attachments
DA40cockpit 92020.jpg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Hi John:

I notice that you have the RC Allen 2610-3 as a standby AI. How did that work for you? Any issues with installation. It looks pretty straightforward to me. My AI (after 19 years) is taking longer and longer to erect, but seems to work well otherwise. I was thinking of that unit (with the internal backup battery) to replace my AI when we do the next Annual.

Steve
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by johnu »

Steve,

I put the RC Allen in when my standby AI gave up the ghost. Sounds like yours is close. I chose it because it was very inexpensive and very easy to install. Since I have multi tube Aspens with redundant AI in them, the only reason I have the RC Allen was to meet FAA regulations. With the FAA becoming more accepting of Electronic Attitude indicators and Aspen's newest Max battery release due out this month I will not need an AI backup and I will remove the RC Allen.

As far as operation the RC Allen works fine. It is a bit slower than my primaries. It is also a bit dim but bright enough to use as a backup. I would recommend putting it as close to directly in front of you as its side view gets more difficult the higher the angle of sight is. Having said that I would recommend it as a backup unless you wanted to step up to an Aspen E5 or Garmin G5 or KI275 that don't require a backup. My preference however is to have a backup especially since I do fly in the clouds from time to time!

Also you can see that I have back up analog speed, turn indicator and altitude. While I did not need to keep those with the Aspen installation I chose to because I had the room (a great benefit of the DA40 cockpit!) and they worked so why remove them. All of that basically gives me triple redundancy!

Probably more info than you needed!

Thanks

John
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by johnu »

Steve,

Just a quick typo correction, it is a GI 275 not KI! Not sure how I mistyped that one!

John
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

johnu wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:53 pm Rich,

I have the Lynx, IFD and Aspen's. I love the IFD550 and the Lynx. I also put in a EI MVP engine analyzer which I really love!

BTW My plane is an 02 Diamond DA 40

John
John,
Not to make a big deal, but your plane is a 2001. The relevant difference between yours and 2002's out of Canada is the much smaller instrument panel in mine. It's even referred to as a "small panel" in the AMM. Here is what mine looks like. Note the very limited space for additional goodies:
N40XE panel after USB install-smaller.jpg
BTW, my friend has been informed by his installer that his IFD will not be able to provide GPSS Roll Steering to the KAP 140. This doesn't seem reasonable. Maybe true only for the E5? The installation document available on the Aspen site doesn't provide much detail regarding Avidyne.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by johnu »

Rich,

You are right mine is a 2001! My bad. I didn't realize that the 2002's out of Canada had a smaller cockpit. Learn something new everyday.

Not sure why your installer said his IFD is not able to provide GPSSS roll steering to a KAP140 as it is possible. It requires an ACU that you purchase with the E5, but it works. There are many installations with this. Have him contact his Aspen customer rep and they can work it out.

John
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Thanks John. I would be replacing the AI in my panel with the RC Allen unit as the primary AI (at least initially). As such, it would be in the center top row of my six-pack, analogous to the AI in your middle Aspen unit, so no off-axis issues for the pilot.

Steve