3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Whats an old flight school DA-40 worth?

Post by soarer20 »

I'm looking at an old flight school DA-40. Any idea what a fair value would be? I've seen Da-40's with steam gauges listed for around $80k in decent condition.

It needs a full repaint. Not sure what this would cost but I'm guessing it would be in the $20-25k range. Special paint required? What sort of prep work do they do? Seller is in Fl, I'm in WA. I'd like to paint it here just in case I have an issue and need it fixed.

Some light damage to one wing tip.

2001, old steam gauge panel. No auto pilot
Garmin 430 and 375
5,400 hrs tt
1,000 SMOH

This is a fairly high time DA-40. I had a budget in mind but Diamonds are so hard to value.

Keep looking or make an offer?

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ma ... e=aircraft
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Whats an old flight school DA-40 worth?

Post by Steve »

Hi Nick:

Hard to tell from a distance, but in the photos, the paint doesn't look that bad. A few of the decals are worn, but they can be replaced relatively cheaply. Might only need a good polish and wax. This aircraft is 7 SNs earlier than mine. It was built in Austria, like mine, shipped to Canada by boat, reassembled and delivered from there. Lack of an autopilot is a negative, but interestingly, it has an HSI. In 2001, the KAP-140 autopilot plus the HSI was a $20K option (quite a good deal, if you ask me). There are few airframes without the autopilot, so valuing them is difficult.

Being a 19 year-old airframe, there are a lot of SBs that have come up, and a few ADs. You definitely want to make sure they were done, or account for them in your pricing decision. It didn't come with that prop. The MT 3 blade was all that was available for 2001 models. You can PM me if you have any more specific questions about DA 40s of this vintage.

Steve
Aggiepack
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ralph
Aircraft Registration: NxxxFS
Airports: KSGJ

Post by Aggiepack »

There has been obviously way more damage over the years than just that light wingtip scratch you metioned.
Instructions for painting see AMM 51-20-00. Some special materials are required, like anti-static filler and specific paint (AMM 51-30-00)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

From the photos I doubt it needs a full repaint. You might be surprised what a good buffing and polishing of oxidized white paint will do to restore the shine on older DA20s and DA40s -- and you can put new vinyl stripes on to make the plane exterior look almost new. A few years ago we bought a collection of DA20s that had been sitting out in the sun for years from a flight school in Arizona and were badly oxidized. They turned out great after buffing and polishing.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
yyic
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Youyou
Aircraft Registration: N608DS
Airports: KEMT

Post by yyic »

Take a look that plane has only one radio. One of the 430 was removed and replaced with a nav/transponder unit that has no radio function.
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: johnu
Aircraft Registration: N913JD
Airports: KAEG

Post by johnu »

I have a 2001 DA40 serial 0068 that I bought from a flight school in 2012 that had about 1700 hours on it. I have 3600 hours on my plane now.

While I know that was a while ago and I am not sure this helps but I paid 102K for it. It had steam gauges but had the KAP140 autopilot. I replaced most of the steam gauges with Aspen Glass, new WAAS GPS and a L3 Lynx ADS-B and new engine instrumentation in it. Also put a new engine init after I reached TBO

I would concur with Steve above. Lots of SB's that need to be checked to make sure they are done. It looks like they upgraded the prop to the Hartzell 2 blade metal prop which is what I have so you can operate at higher RPMs which is helpful

Having said that it is a great plane and has not had any real issues except recently with rollers in the push pull rod assemblies (I just posted that one to see if anyone has seen that) that will potentially require a bit of expensive repair. With the hours on this plane I would recommend checking that as well.

Be happy to answer any other specific questions as well.

John
drfaustus72
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: NxxxDS
Airports: KEMT

Post by drfaustus72 »

The left wing tip has been repaired structurally and repainted at least three times it appears. ADs seem to be up to date, MSBs as well. Couldn't find a MSI. Engine twice overhauled, might be time for a new one. Only one radio, but that's easily fixed. This aircraft has seen a lot of use by not-yet proficient pilots and the maintenance records tell the tale. I'm no expert, but price seems high.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Hello,

If my experience can help you, I bought in 2018 a DA40 from a flight school, but this plane was the "flag ship" and not intented to be use for student ab initio or in training. It was for more experienced pilots.
Year: 2001
SN: 026
TTSN: 2.500h
MSI in 2013
All MSB were done
Engine freshly OH (70h)
Governor freshly OH (10h)
Prop due for OH
1 GNS430
1 non 8.33 additional radio
No auto-pilot
No luggage extention
No Powerflow
MTOW: 1150 Kg
Clean Kardex
NDH
Wing tips, tail fin and wheel cowling has been already repaired
Interior 6/10
Exterior 6/10
Brake pads, tire, 12V battery, brake liquid, 1 baffle, GNS 430 battery and software were to be changed

I bought it 90K€, but I asked the seller that the wings had to be removed for inspection at their costs before (nothing wrong was found).

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b