3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N899ds
Airports: Kcgs

G1000 range knob

Post by Leesommer »

Yes My range knob on my MFD is cracked and won't rotate properly or toggle. I was going to super glue together which might work but would really like a placement does anyone have a source for this specific knob. I would assume very dear from garmin.
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Re: G1000 range knob

Post by salim »

I got it replaced a month a go for less than 10€ by my service center. Probably better than trying the super glue !
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Lee:
If it's just the knob, it can be replaced relatively cheaply. But if the underlying electronics for the Range knob have gone bad (i.e., you can't rotate and/or toggle), you may need to have the MFD swapped out. For a flat fee (about $2K), Garmin will overnight a replacement MFD that came out of another G1000-equipped plane; your returned unit will be repaired by Garmin for installation in somebody else's plane.

For assistance in the DC metro area, I've had good luck with Garmin avionics shop Delta Fox at KHEF. (I was just there last week getting a GFC700 autopilot fixed on a DA40, and they were able to update software on the FlightStream 510 SDcard for my DA62.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

So if I'm struggling to have more than just knob problems meaning not toggling properly or turning properly then it might be MFD. If I go with the send me one overnight for $2000. Will the screen be customized for my the DA40 or is the screen just something dumb and he gets all info from the LRUs.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

When my range knob went bad a few years ago, I had the same symptoms - unable to turn or push reliably - and it was just the knob. I would suggest taking the knob from the PFD and trying it on the MFD before you go sending anything off to Garmin. In fact, I did exactly this in my plane and just lived with it that way for a while, since I almost never use the range knob on the PFD.

Possibly time-saving tip: there is a small metal band inside the hole in the knob, and when you remove the broken MFD knob, you will most likely leave that metal band behind on the shaft. This will prevent you from installing the PFD knob until you remove the metal band from the shaft. This band is difficult to see - at least with my aging eyes - don't ask me how I know this! :oops: You can also look inside the knob and see if the band is still there or not.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Leesommer wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 am So if I'm struggling to have more than just knob problems meaning not toggling properly or turning properly then it might be MFD. If I go with the send me one overnight for $2000. Will the screen be customized for my the DA40 or is the screen just something dumb and he gets all info from the LRUs.
If your MFD is replaced, the Garmin tech will need to reinstall your MFD software into the "new" unit (which contains an Intel microprocessor, memory, etc.). That will customize the MFD for a DA40.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

I have this same MFD range knob issue. Where are folks finding these knobs “relatively cheap”? I checked with my Garmin service center and they told me my only option was to order a complete knob kit that contained knobs for every knob on both screens (of course it did, its Garmin) and it would cost a couple hundred bucks.

Also, when i try to swap the PFD range knob with the MFD knob, I can’t get the PFD range knob off. Am I just not pulling hard enough? I don’t want to break something.
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
tahoemark
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: mark
Aircraft Registration: n1234
Airports: klgb

Post by tahoemark »

Someone on the Cirrus forum said their shop ordered a part from textron for $25. Didn't mention a part number. Hope this helps.
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

Thanks everybody for your help. The knob now has more problems meaning I can’t make the range change. The toggle seem to work OK and the push button seems to work OK but no luck on range change. Dave I think I have to take you up on that repair shop idea..wow that’s pretty steep. :) :scream: :scream: OK thanks.