Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Re: Winching in reverse from the Nose Gear?

Post by MarkA »

The brake lines run down the back side of the main struts so the straps really don't touch them when the plane is pulled backward into the hangar so we didn't do anything to protect them.

When the straps are first looped around the main struts, the lay right next to the wheel pants. Since the winch is basically at ground level and pulls straight back, I've never noticed the straps sliding up on the main struts.

If your winch control cable (or remote Bluetooth control) is long enough, the standard tow bar can be used and works pretty well to guide the plane back wards into the hangar. We also use some DYI ramps made from scrap plywood to make it easier to pull the plane over the hangar door tracks as shown in the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7001&p=75762&hilit=ramps#p75762

Enjoy
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Winching in reverse from the Nose Gear?

Post by dmloftus »

I successfully created a tow bar attachment to winch my DA40 in reverse from the nose gear. Here are pictures of the prototype, all materials are from Home Depot and Northern Tool. It works like a champ! I may cut the cross pieces narrower and add a vertical handle, but left the extensions initially to ensure I could help steer if the nose gear started turning. The winch cable attaches to two tow ropes that attach either side of the nose gear. Initially I joined them with a loop of blue rope to ensure the rope would break (instead of my nose gear ;-) if I encountered too much resistance when crossing the door lips and tracks. Pulling the eye hooks from either side of the nose gear keeps the wheel relatively straight and I have enough leverage from the extensions to make minor course corrections. I've tried pulling from the tail tie-down but I'm convinced that this is a far better solution.
I can control the AC winch from anywhere, which allows me to walk along at the nose and closely monitor things. I hold the winch control button with a C clamp, and turn the winch on/off with an inline switch on the extension cord. I'm happy to provide more details if anyone wishes.
Attachments
Easily pulls uphill and over door lip and rails
Easily pulls uphill and over door lip and rails
AC winch, $150 at Northern Tool
AC winch, $150 at Northern Tool
It looks strange, but I intentionally left a "weak link" to snap if excessive force was required that could damage nose gear
It looks strange, but I intentionally left a "weak link" to snap if excessive force was required that could damage nose gear
Turnbuckle holds the rig securely to the nose gear
Turnbuckle holds the rig securely to the nose gear
About $100 in materials from Home Depot
About $100 in materials from Home Depot
IMG_5983.JPG