4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Re: RPM fluctuation on idle and engine choking

Post by yl472401 »

Roxi5m9 wrote:
Rich wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:09 pm The video won't play for me. But an EGT rise on a cylinder accompanying the RPM drop would indicate a plug misfiring. An EGT rise on all cylinders suggests a mag problem or p-lead intermittent short.
That’s not necessarily true from my experience, Rich. This last spring we noticed some intermittent engine roughness. After a lot of troubleshooting and doing an inflight mag test we figured out the number 2 cylinder on the right mag was intermittently misfiring. We replaced the plug, no help, replaced the harness, no help, realized we had 900 hours on the mags, replaced them, fixed it. Basically, somewhere in the core of the mag it was wore out. From what I was told, usually a mag will impact all cylinders but not always.
Thanks for the heads-up. Will keep an eye out on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Before you spend too much money or adjust anything get the exhaust and induction gaskets checked to see if they are leaking. Either could cause this problem especially the induction gaskets. Probably best to just change the induction gaskets as they are very cheap anyway.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Karl wrote:Before you spend too much money or adjust anything get the exhaust and induction gaskets checked to see if they are leaking. Either could cause this problem especially the induction gaskets. Probably best to just change the induction gaskets as they are very cheap anyway.
Thanks Karl,
The issue got fixed with the fuel servo and a few other parts replaced. Costed an arm Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR