3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Aeroleds Landing/Taxi Lights

Post by perossichi »

I installed Aeroleds Sunbeam LED lights to replace Whelan Halogen Landing/Taxi lights. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc8ohgskfoitd ... s.jpg?dl=0

Very easy install. I used existing mounting brackets. You have to install new Molex connectors and this requires a Molex crimping tool and you also need longer brass "instrument" screws (1 1/2"). I did not enable the "pulsing" or "wig-wag" feature of these lights as both the landing and taxi lights are on the same wing. If you wish to do so, then you need to install a three-place "rocker" switch under the panel to replace the existing landing and taxi light two position switches.

There is some confusion regarding whether or not a form 337 is required for this install. If this is NOT a major alternation, then a form 337 is not required. (note: there is no STC so you would need to get the form 337 signed off my your local FSDO with the "approved data.").

Here is the definition of a "major alteration" from the FAR: (14 CFR section 1.1)

"Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -
(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations."

Clearly, changing a halogen light to a LED, using existing wiring is NOT a major alteration. I also checked with my A&P/IA and Mike Busch who agreed that this is not a major alternation.

I should also point out that the install instructions from AEROLEDs has some confusing language about filing a 337 which, frankly, sounds like something from a "lawyer-esque" type.

I will go farther out on the limb (I'm sure some on the forum will attempt to "cut-off" the limb) by saying that there is an argument that this is actually a form of preventive maintenance. Clearly, if you were just replacing a burned out bulb this is explicitly called out in part 43, appendix on preventative maintenance. However, this is not simply replacing the bulb. However, as Mike Busch has pointed out, there is a letter of interpretation from the FAA that states that preventative maintenance is not confined to only those procedures outlined in part 43, but that it extends to procedures of a similar level of complexity. This is not a complex procedure. On the other hand, it is not preventative but I'm willing to gloss that over. My argument is that I'm proactively installing the LED in anticipation of that failure of the halogen lights.

So one could argue that you don't even need to get an A&P to sign off this repair and you can make the logbook entry yourself. I freely admit that this is a "stretch" but I don't think it will affect the resale value of my plane.
Attachments
IMG-1320.jpg
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Aeroleds Landing/Taxi Lights

Post by Colin »

Have you flown at night yet? Can you tell the difference? (Regular to halogen was a HUGE difference for me on our DA40.) Much lower draw on the electrical system?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

Not yet. However, I tested the lights in the darkened hangar and there is a HUGE difference. There should be a lower draw but I will check that as well and report back to forum
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I would say just replacing the bulbs with better ones does not require a 337. What year is your plane? Mine is a 2004 so when we replaced the old halogens (a flashlight would be better) the LEDs were not available. I did a XEVision HID replacement with 50 watt units - the HIDs that started coming from the factory were 35 watts. Got a 337 for that because of installing High Voltage transformers/ballasts for the HIDs. I would also not seek an A&P sign-off for your bulb replacement.

The 50W HIDs really light up the runway at night on landing - huge difference.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I changed the ones in mine to Whelen LEDs using the Diamond OSB40-77 (http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... Lights.pdf)

While the OSB doesn't call out the type of lights, the Work Instruction -- WI-OSB40-77 does specify Whelen lights, plus you have to buy a new bracket from Diamond.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Congratulations Peter!

I made the mistake of applying for a 337 for this exact modification in 2014.

The local FSDO turned us down:
Full size image: https://i.imgur.com/MfifMJl.png

The kicker, of course, is that TSO'd landing lights don't exist. :scream:

But once we were rejected, it was not legal to proceed without a big fight. We elected to install XeVision lenses instead, which work fine but obviously have much higher power consumption.

Here is the photo included with the 337 showing the difference between the Sunbeam LEDs and our OEM HIDs.
The Sunbeams were mounted in a fixture directly above the HIDs for this test.
Full size image: https://i.imgur.com/gDryiV8.png

I think you will enjoy the Sunbeams. :thumbsup:

Chris
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

Chris

Thx for your post. Is your conclusion that the HID are brighter/better than the LEDs. I’m just happy to get rid of the horrible halogens. My night vision at 64 ain’t what it used to be.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

Chris

My reaction to your form 337 FSDO experience is the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished. The letter you displayed could have been taken directly from Catch-22.

I’ve heard good things about the Van Nuys FSDO but I’d like to stay away unless there is no alternative.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

perossichi wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:53 am Is your conclusion that the HID are brighter/better than the LEDs. I’m just happy to get rid of the horrible halogens.
Hi Peter -

My conclusion is that the AeroLEDs are superior to the OEM HIDs in peripheral vision. The Sunbeam "hot spot" is also narrower and brighter. But overall they were similar. Compared to OEM the XeVision lenses do a noticeably better job focusing light forward, rather than blasting it in all directions, and are probably superior to the LEDs. But all are a giant step up from halogens.

FWIW, I was very interested in flashing lights for daytime visibility, and was planning to change the existing landing & taxi switches to (both) on/off & flash/steady. With the LED's low current I would just leave them on continuously (like our NSP position & strobe lights), flashing except while landing or taxiing. Adding flashing to the XeVision lights is pricey and has an unclear impact on HID life.

My night vision at 64 ain’t what it used to be.
Yep. I'm not far behind. :(

One thing that I've found helpful is supplemental oxygen at night, certainly above ~7k or so. Obvious night vision improvement.

You also might want to check out Lutein. My eye doctor recommended this, and it seems to help. I was skeptical, but following all her recommendations my corrected vision improved to 20/15. Though I still need bifocals. ;)

Chris
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

My night vision problems are more evident during ground operations. At least over cities, night flying is easier as planes stand out more.