1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N842US
Airports: 1C5

Buying Advice / Pre-buy Inspection Recommendation

Post by vsc »

After flying a rental for the past two years averaging more than enough hours to justify owning, I'm looking to pick up a used DA-40. While in principle I know the process I wonder if it makes sense to engage a representative to help with the legwork?

In any case are there recommendations for someone to use for a pre-buy inspection?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Buying Advice / Pre-buy Inspection Recommendation

Post by Colin »

If I were buying a used DA40 I would have Dave Seastead in Dallas do the pre-sale inspection. He's at Premier and I imagine they have a number of used DA40's they are selling, too. But even if I didn't want any of their planes, I would still use him to look at what you're buying (and probably make the pre-sale an annual). I haven't found anyone with a deeper knowledge of the planes who isn't working at the factory.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

Scott,
perhaps you want to talk with Bryan (yl472401) who just joined the group after buying his DA40. Based on your airport identifiers you’re close to each other.
I bought my DA40 from Dave (CFIDave) two years ago, and there are few people who can help you as well with Diamond purchases as him.
If I had one thing to do over again, it would be to better understand the sales tax and property tax consequences of the purchase. Perhaps IL is better than CA in that respect.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
vsc
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N842US

Post by vsc »

Unfortunately a plane housed in Illinois requires payment of sales tax (e.g. 10%) or use tax, where reliable sources state that the state is very diligent with respect to collecting use tax.

I sent a private message to Bryan just now. His home field is close, though I have only been there once.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US

Post by yl472401 »

vsc wrote:Unfortunately a plane housed in Illinois requires payment of sales tax (e.g. 10%) or use tax, where reliable sources state that the state is very diligent with respect to collecting use tax.

I sent a private message to Bryan just now. His home field is close, though I have only been there once.
Hi Scott,
For pre-buy inspection, do find a third party that doesn’t have any prior business with the seller so that you can get a more fair inspection result. And have it done early before you get there. I made the mistake to wait until the closing day to have the inspection done due to the holiday weekend and pandemic.
It’s easier for you to say no or ask for credit if you have the inspection result in hand and not desperate to finish the transaction. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Find a proper tax consulting firm before the purchase.

For my DA40 I was in California. I took delivery in Nevada, flew 51% of the first year out of the state and the "Safe Harbor" tax provision meant I didn't pay sales tax in California.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TomJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: TomJ
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1169N
Airports: KGTU

Post by TomJ »

Colin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 am Find a proper tax consulting firm before the purchase.

For my DA40 I was in California. I took delivery in Nevada, flew 51% of the first year out of the state and the "Safe Harbor" tax provision meant I didn't pay sales tax in California.
Same here. I took delivery in North Carolina, brought it to California, followed a practice similar to what Colin described, and successfully made a case not to have to pay the sales tax (called "use tax", actually). Getting in touch with a tax consulting firm that understands the details is critical.

If the aircraft you are buying is near the East coast, I recommend Glenn Lawler of SouthTec Aviation in Salisbury NC, who did mine.

-- Tom
Ian Sage
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ian
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KAPA

Post by Ian Sage »

If you are 6'2" or taller make sure you spend some time in it with the canopy latched. There are a few out there with seat/canopy combinations that will not allow us taller folks to sit upright. Based on my personal experience it doesn't take long for your seating position to become painful. Just one quirk to look out for if you are on the taller side. I've only run into the issue in one plane but it made what is normally a great plane to fly become a very unpleasant experience.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US

Post by yl472401 »

TomJ wrote:
Colin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 am Find a proper tax consulting firm before the purchase.

Same here. I took delivery in North Carolina, brought it to California, followed a practice similar to what Colin described, and successfully made a case not to have to pay the sales tax (called "use tax", actually). Getting in touch with a tax consulting firm that understands the details is critical.

If the aircraft you are buying is near the East coast, I recommend Glenn Lawler of SouthTec Aviation in Salisbury NC, who did mine.

-- Tom
6’2” can be painful. I’m sitting with my SPH5 helmet with top touching against the canopy. May have to remove the sheepskin to make more roomImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR