4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Re: g1000 attitude indicator replacement

Post by Davestation »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:06 pm
curts63 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am I've seen Garmin's new GI-275 advertised, is this an option too? It looks like it would be a great option.
I don't think that the GI-275 has an AI option. As of 2019, the DA40 was not on the G5 AML. Plus, as JohnLand noted, it won't fit easily...

Right off of the “I’m feeling lucky” ...
396A3929-7816-46EB-8665-4E62D92853E3.jpeg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I stand corrected. But...

...it looks like there is too much information on the screen! ;)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Davestation wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Boatguy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:34 pm I think you'll find that Diamond is not on the AML for the GI-275. This is a Garmin "after market" product and Diamond's only get products that their OEM division wants us to have.
Never heard of Garmin blackballing Diamond...

1DABD0A5-BE73-4FB1-9950-00E094BAE088.jpeg
Blackballing is your word, not mine, but thank you for finding the STC.

A broad number of Garmin products, including the G3X, G5 and GFC500/600 have an AML which either does not include Diamond aircraft, or has a footnote excluding any aircraft certified with the G1000 which is most of the Diamond fleet. As told to me, this is a decision made in conjunction with Diamond.

While the GI-275 AML does include Diamonds it is dependent on upon the internal "VFR GPS". No idea how the VFR GPS differs from any other GPS, hard to imagine it doesn't have WAAS in 2020, it's probably just not IFR certified. The only data source that is commonly found in Diamond's and supported by the GI-275 is the GTX345 which would provide traffic and wx.

The specs and manual are a little confusing. The manual says the basic unit must be connected to an external AHRS in order to be an AI so that's not a backup at all. The unit with an integrated ADAHRS, which undoubtedly cost more, would replace the three backup instruments above the G1000 in the DA40/42.

It doesn't replace the magnetic compass as it won't interface with our GMUxx magnetometers. But as a backup, GPS track is a reasonable approximation of mag heading.
Basic
The basic model of the MFI can act as an attitude indicator (ADI), horizontal situation
indicator (HSI), engine indication system (EIS), or multi-function display (MFD).
To act as an attitude indicator, the basic MFI must have an external AHRS source. To display
air data, the basic MFI must have an external air data computer. To show magnetic heading,
all MFIs must have an external magnetometer.

With Internal ADAHRS (Air Data and Attitude and Heading Reference System)
The MFI with internal ADAHRS can do everything the basic MFI does and additionally
contains its own air data and AHRS source, saving weight and expense.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

I was obviously paraphrasing. I think there is a lot more to avionics upgrades than them just not wanting you to have it. That is the definition of blackballing as I understand it.

I don’t see anything on the Garmin website about a basic version that doesn’t have its own AHRS, the price I screenshot is of the full version apparently.

Does it need to be IFR certified as a backup instrument? Remember that the gauge were replacing here has no GPS whatsoever.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

The GI-275 series is a very nice replacement for the backup instruments. It has AHRS and magnetometer. The VFR GPS is really just a separate GPS antenna that is attached to the glareshield. When coupled with the Garmin USB chargers, it can receive updates through USB or Wi-Fi.

I think of them as being a pretty complete G1000 replacement, sans engine instruments. IFR requires VFR instruments as the basis and adds in navigation and lightning protection, at least as I recall.

I'm going to put one in as soon as the COVID-19 thing lets up. It was supposed to happen in February, but, well, you know ...

Peter
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

AFAIK there's something about backup instruments can't have the same software as primary ones. Maybe I'm wrong...
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The Mid Continent electronic backup (MD302 Standby Attitude Module) is certified for DA40s (and DA42s) according to their website -- https://www.flysam.com/STCs/ During a recent Diamond presentation I saw a picture of a new DA42 with one.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The MD302 is also standard on all DA62s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

ememic99 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:08 pm AFAIK there's something about backup instruments can't have the same software as primary ones. Maybe I'm wrong...
I've seen this suggested elsewhere and it didn't make sense to me. For example, both PFD/MFD GDUs run the same software version and one is the backup for the other (e.g. reversionary mode). [The two GIAs are another example.]

I've understood backup redundancy to only require mechanical or electrical independence/isolation in the event of mechanical or electrical failure. The whole idea of how much software difference is 'enough' would be pretty tricky to define.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

chili4way wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:45 pm
ememic99 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:08 pm AFAIK there's something about backup instruments can't have the same software as primary ones. Maybe I'm wrong...
I've seen this suggested elsewhere and it didn't make sense to me. For example, both PFD/MFD GDUs run the same software version and one is the backup for the other (e.g. reversionary mode). [The two GIAs are another example.]

I've understood backup redundancy to only require mechanical or electrical independence/isolation in the event of mechanical or electrical failure. The whole idea of how much software difference is 'enough' would be pretty tricky to define.
I agree with you - separate system should be considered as a backup, regardless the software running within.