3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Re: Mx and Flying during stay home order times

Post by DaveS1900 »

It appears the FAA isn't changing the requirements of the medical currency. They are simply "not enforcing" action against pilots. See info from the FAA website below. As I read it, the medical still expires but you won't get into FAA hot water if they ramp check you. Insurance is another big question since it requires a current medical.

Pilot Medical Certificates
The FAA will not take enforcement action (PDF) against certain pilots or flight engineers who fly with medical certificates that expire between March 31, 2020 and June 30, 2020. COVID-19 is placing a severe burden on the U.S. healthcare system. Requiring pilots to undergo in-person medical examinations would further stress the healthcare system, and would increase the risk of transmitting the virus through personal contact between the doctor and the applicant.

Dave S.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Dave,

I was listening to Max Trescott's latest podcast this morning, and he specifically said the insurance companies are not waiving the medical timing requirement (as yet). So... if you have an accident or incident, people in this situation may not be covered. Yikes.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

We are flying up here. In fact, with the drop in commercial traffic, I think ATC has never been happier to help out GA aircraft. The local FB page is busy with guys posting. I had my annual done last week and never broke any social distancing requirement. Flight schools are shut down mind you.

Most aviation businesses lend themselves well to social distancing: they are usually just a couple guys with working in 10,000 sq ft hangar lol!