2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N622DS
Airports: KAUO

Mx and Flying during stay home order times

Post by JohnLand »

Hi fellow DAN members, with the stay home order several states have imposed, what are you'll's opinions regarding just flying around home airport for pleasure and picking and dropping of aircraft for necessary mx?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Mx and Flying during stay home order times

Post by Rich »

I see no problem doing exactly that, especially if you're the sole user of the plane. In fact I took my plane over to Bend on Thursday to deal with a defective FS210. The shop is still operating (though the flight school is shut down). There were a number of guys out doing touch and goes and whatnot today here in Prineville. Just keep proper interpersonal distance and you're OK.

I do need to do some instrument approaches (with a safety pilot) that I'm deferring for the time being. And I know of check rides and such that have been cancelled.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Here in France at the beginning we were allowed to fly alone and flight school were closed.
Now it is purely forbidden to do any kind of flight till 2 weeks and again minimum for 4 weeks.
It is very hard.
Ferry flight for maintenance are allowed But there are a lot of document to sign, flight plan to do ....
My airport is closed by notam as all Paris area are so no ferry flight allowed and my airworthiness certificate will end soon....

What a shitty time. But many people are dying in awful conditions, so i cannot complain
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I am a little surprised that the Regulatory Agencies (FAA, EASA) are not allowing temporary waivers of regulatory requirements (Annual Inspections, Flight Reviews, Medicals, IPCs, etc.) for a couple of months. Its not like my airplane will fall out of the sky the day after the Annual expires...

Allowing limited waivers would certainly enhance the spool-up of capacity when the quarantine regulations are eventually lifted.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:32 pm I am a little surprised that the Regulatory Agencies (FAA, EASA) are not allowing temporary waivers of regulatory requirements (Annual Inspections, Flight Reviews, Medicals, IPCs, etc.) for a couple of months. Its not like my airplane will fall out of the sky the day after the Annual expires...

Allowing limited waivers would certainly enhance the spool-up of capacity when the quarantine regulations are eventually lifted.
The FAA has issued a statement for medicals but nothing else so far. I see no problem with annuals, etc. At the moment shops seem to be operating. Some airport offices are unattended but personnel available on callout.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Same with EASA. But when the airport is closed because ATC are temporary lay off and runway inspection company is closed you are screw.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Steve wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:32 pm I am a little surprised that the Regulatory Agencies (FAA, EASA) are not allowing temporary waivers of regulatory requirements (Annual Inspections, Flight Reviews, Medicals, IPCs, etc.) for a couple of months. Its not like my airplane will fall out of the sky the day after the Annual expires...

The problem isn't the regulatory agencies, which have already started relaxing requirements (e.g., the FAA extending the time for medicals to be current).

The big problem is the insurance underwriters: they still won't issue aircraft insurance if you have an expired medical, for example. Without insurance company cooperation I expect a lot of grounded planes and pilots soon.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

In the EU this is in the turf of the member states. Each CAA has to decree deviations they are willing to make. Here are some of those made in Germany:
https://www.lba.de/SharedDocs/Startseit ... orona.html (scroll down for English)
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

JohnLand wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:50 pm Hi fellow DAN members, with the stay home order several states have imposed, what are you'll's opinions regarding just flying around home airport for pleasure and picking and dropping of aircraft for necessary mx?
Our mx shop is continuing to operate business as usual right now. Also, I'm trying to make a point of being in the air every week or two at the most in order to keep the rust off myself and the airplane.

With these fuel prices, I just wish I had somewhere to go!

--Ron
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

Flying around the home airport, on very short flights, is what we’ve been doing. Spring weather has been bipolar and very windy, though. I am finding that the DA40 feels every little bump to a greater extent than my old C172.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R