Annuals CheckList & AMM - How to validate required checks?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Annuals CheckList & AMM - How to validate required checks?

Post by gtmize »

I've got an upcoming Annual on my DA40 XLS. The question I have is how do you know you're mechanic has completed all the ToDo's required under the AMM? Do they have a ( short ) checklist they use for all the planes they work on?

For the first time I actually opened the AMM ( 2700 pages) and although Chaper B-5 (100 pages) is a list of checks its still a challenge working thru that list. I'm amazed that mechanics that service different airplanes work thru all these different AMMs.

And since I've got a G1000 setup ... those items won't be checked as my guy is not a Garmin shop.

Thanks
Gary
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Annuals CheckList & AMM - How to validate required checks?

Post by CFIDave »

Gary:
Very few A&Ps/IAs follow all of the steps "recommended" in Chapter 5 of the AMM, since (in the US) they're only legally required to follow the Airworthiness Limitations items in Chapter 4 (that have all been reviewed and approved by the FAA). Instead A&Ps/IAs use their judgement combined with FAA guidance for conducting annual inspections.

For a Lycoming DA40 there are a few additional items that ARE NOT INCLUDED in the Diamond AMM because these systems were added via STCs (Supplemental Type Certificates) and not Diamond as the original TC holder. They are instead included in the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA) documentation from respective vendors like Garmin and Powerflow:
- Replacement of Garmin G1000 slow-blow fuses
- Dismantling of Powerflow exhaust risers and lubrication with anti-seize compound
These are very often overlooked during annual inspections, and ignoring the Powerflow item in particular is likely to result in cracked exhaust risers (don't ask me how I learned this).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

- Dismantling of Powerflow exhaust risers and lubrication with anti-seize compound
These are very often overlooked during annual inspections, and ignoring the Powerflow item in particular is likely to result in cracked exhaust risers (don't ask me how I learned this).
Um, ditto on this :oops:
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

On the PowerFlow required maintenance, I found that when I was shopping for my Diamond this item was typically overlooked on aircraft annuals. Hopefully, this was merely an oversight on the Annual’s entry. Yet it is something I do discuss with our Chief of Maintenance before the annual, and I ask it to be annotated in the logbook.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Both shops I've used over the last ten years are thoroughly familiar with the Powerflow and its maintenance requirements. These units are not by any means unique to DA40s and they already knew about them from dealing with other aircraft types.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I've been doing owner-assisted Annuals for 19 years on my airplane. I do use the checklist that is in the AMM. It is a lot of pages, but some of them don't apply to my aircraft (like the TAE engine stuff), or apply only to 1000 hour or 2000 hour inspections. My A&P/IA has gotten very familiar with my airplane, and does some additional things that aren't on the checklist. I keep all of the time in service records in an Excel spreadsheet, so it is easy to see what is due (like this year we are doing the nosegear inspection, because it will go over 200 hours before the next Annual, some battery replacements - in the ELT RCPI and annunciator).

It usually takes about 32 man-hours for the inspection, plus any scheduled or unscheduled maintenance items. Today, while I had the wheels off, I replaced the brake linings. I am also going to replace the COM2 antenna and wingtip lights.

Steve
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

Steve,
Would you be willing to share your spreadsheet?

Thanks
Gary
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Gary:

Sure thing, check your PM. Just remember, my checklist is specific to my airplane, a 2001 model. It doesn't list any items for the later G1000 models, and has some items which won't apply to yours.

Steve
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

There are lots of airworthiness limitations often overlooked. It's frustrating because they aren't listed in the AMM and you kind of have to know what you're looking for, but you don't know what you don't know, right? STC ICA's are the most often overlooked. And even stuff IN the AMM is often missed, now that's just lazy. Get a good mechanic you can trust, go to an authorized service center that works on lots of Diamonds, do your own research and ask questions.

And even though they aren't an avionics shop, they should be able to do the Garmin ICA's or coordinate with someone who can. Having to go to two shops every year sounds like a major headache.